Where to buy ddr3 dimm ram in morgantown wv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altwolf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Hi, I have this motherboard that a friend said the ram slots didn't work and I think he was just using the wrong ram in it, It takes specifically 240 pin ddr3 pc3-8500 2gb max non-ecc 1.5v per slot and only 2 slots. There is no store i have found that even sells ram other than best buy and they want me to order it because they dont carry it in the store and its going to take a week to get here. i would be able to return it if it doesnt work though, my question is that does anyone know where i could buy a stick of this ram 1gb or 2gb from any store in this town or relatively close enough that i could just return it if need be? this is a pain in the ass and i dont want to buy ram from newegg on a whim becuase the MB might have DOA ram slots. or is there any other way to test the slots? please let me know if you know any store in the area thanks.

What is the actual motherboard. And what were the symptoms? Honestly most DDR3 should work in most boards and speed and voltage dont matter much the board should adjust. Don't you have any ram in another computer you can try? Or get what he was using? Better to find the problem than guess

Altwolf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
ok well I found one stick at best buy, its a pc3 1066 2gb i got it for 17 bucks plus i can just return it and get my money back. First off my old computer is using ddr2 so i cant try that, I basically had the motherboard sitting out on my desk (wooden) with a spare psu and a p4 2.8 that i had laying around. I put in the ram and hooked up the power switch to my other case and turned it on, nothing happened not even a beep and the monitor didnt turn on. The processor also didnt even start to heat up, I switched the ram to the other slot and same thing, so i swapped the processor with the one i know works cause its the one im using right now and still nothing happened no beeps nothing. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the power connection to the cpu on the board itself. I mean if it were the ram it would atleast make some indication of the memory being bad and it would atleast boot to a screen where it could tell me "what the *** is going on" you know lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.