Closed Solved

GPU upgrade for HP Pavilion a6130n

Hey everybody. I just bought an HP Pavilion a6130n from a buddy of mine. I know it's not a good rig for any sort of serious gaming, but I was hoping I could get it to the level where I could play games like Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect 2 on decent (but obviously not great) settings. Here are the specs, however, I've upgraded to Win7 64bit and installed 6GBs RAM already.

So in short, what I really want to know is, what GPU would you recommend in the neighborhood of $100-200? Also, I'm sure I'll need a new PSU... any recommendations there? Thanks for the help!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade pavilion a6130n
  1. So you need a GPU + PSU both for 200 dollars?
  2. Best answer
  3. No, just For the GPU.
  4. With that CPU you don't want to spend more than $100. I would do what I recommended because you are not going to get better FPS (due to CPU speed) and the GPU and PSU fit within the $200. (lower than you wanted to spend ;) )
  5. I like this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572

Still plenty of money left for a good PSU.
  6. I have the computer put into an Antec 900 case. With that one I upgraded the power supply which you will need to do if you do a bigger card. I put a 450 watt MSI Turbostream in mine and an 8800gt OC from BFG. I was running 4 gb of DDR2 and an AMD Athlon x2 5200+ also. Its been a while and I am unsure about todays numbering system and the cards require a lot less power then the 8800gt. I am upgrading my GFX card as well and trying to find a suitable one near or better then the 8800gt that a 500 watt supply can run.
  7. slvryaris said:
    I have the computer put into an Antec 900 case. With that one I upgraded the power supply which you will need to do if you do a bigger card. I put a 450 watt MSI Turbostream in mine and an 8800gt OC from BFG. I was running 4 gb of DDR2 and an AMD Athlon x2 5200+ also. Its been a while and I am unsure about todays numbering system and the cards require a lot less power then the 8800gt. I am upgrading my GFX card as well and trying to find a suitable one near or better then the 8800gt that a 500 watt supply can run.

You should start your own thread.
  8. Thanks for the replies!
  9. So, what you are getting?
  10. I'm leaning toward that 5670 that you recommended. Even if I upgraded to say the HD 5770 would I get the same performance that I'd get from the 5670 b/c of my processor?
  11. You have a 5000+? I dont know if thats enough to feed a 5770, as I am not a expert in that. A 5670 may be able to fit in your system without a new PSU but it depends on the wattage of your PSU and you would be cutting it close.
  12. Yes, the hd5670 is going to be basically the best.
  13. Best answer selected by docmartin83.
  14. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs HP Pavilion Graphics Product