Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recommend Cases Please

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2011 10:17:14 PM

I need a case for all the components I've bought/picked out. A list of recommendations around $60-$120 would be great.

I already own:

i5-2500
GTX 570 (reference)
Spinpoint F3 1TB
Seasonic X650
2x2 G.SKILL Ripjaws X

And I'll be ordering an Asus P8P67 today or tomorrow most likely.

Some case features I'm interested in:

Quietness
Air filters are important (My house is dusty and I have a dog)
Airflow
Room for more optical and storage drives later
Place to put a card reader
I might need front IO ports (rather than top panel) depending on how tall the case is because I'd like to put it in the desktop compartment of a desk.
No USB 3 front ports that plug into motherboard are out, yet, huh?

A list of good cases that people usually buy would be perfect.

More about : recommend cases

April 6, 2011 12:09:15 AM

There are quite a few cases out with USB 3.0 front ports. A simple newegg search of "front usb3" will produce a list of about 60 ( http://bit.ly/f6doAH )

Lian Li and Antecs are personal favorites, the selection for cases with USB3.0 front ports in your price range is limited though.

m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2011 12:38:55 AM

dassox said:
There are quite a few cases out with USB 3.0 front ports. A simple newegg search of "front usb3" will produce a list of about 60 ( http://bit.ly/f6doAH )

Lian Li and Antecs are personal favorites, the selection for cases with USB3.0 front ports in your price range is limited though.

But I think you have to run a cord out to the rear USB 3 ports.

Quote:
It is the first case to natively support Super Speed USB 3.0 via a standardized internal motherboard connector. USB 3.0 cables need not be routed through the case to the back panel, and conveniently attaches directly to compatible motherboards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/143389/Cooler-Master-Announc...

That review is from three days ago, by the way.

A quote from a Newegg review of the Antec Twelve Hundred v3 that you was in the list you linked:
Quote:
Speaking of the front panel, the 3.0 usb doesnt connect to the motherboard, but rather, you route it through your case and into a spot on the I/O shield.

So I'm guessing the list is quite small right now and there's no easy way to search this on Newegg, that I know of. Any idea what cases will have USB 3 motherboard connector upgrades or anything?

Edit: I also need to be able to shut off the LEDs on any fans that have them. I can see them being annoying in certain scenarios.
m
l
April 6, 2011 1:00:58 AM

Ah, missed that in the first post, there is a pci-E x1 adapter with internal usb3 ports that would allow those cases to work without routing cables outside.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That might help broaden your search. It does tack $40 bucks on to the tab though, so I don't know if that's really helping.

m
l
April 8, 2011 6:05:25 PM

Eh, not having front USB 3 is fine I guess. I'm not too lazy to walk around and plug something into the back if need be, ha ha.

I also did some measuring and realized that no mid tower is going to fit in the desktop compartment of my desk (the depth is more suited for mini tower cases) so I'll just be setting the computer case on the floor. This means top IO ports are fine.

From reading about cases, I'm getting the impression that most cases come with some pretty loud case fans. Also, most cases have LED fans that you can't turn the LEDs off on. Few cases have filters for all the intakes, too. Lian Li uses air filters for all intakes, but they're almost impossible to get support from if anything happens (I keep hearing they ignore support emails and generally don't do much). I never thought cases were so hard to pick out...
m
l
April 8, 2011 6:58:34 PM

Checkout this case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI

It costs $90 from newegg.

Tons of dust filters, led on/off switch for fans at top of case, awesome air flow with quiet stock cooling. Only 2 USB ports at the front instead of 3 though. I'm ordering it for my new build.
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:18:30 PM

xGrunty said:
Checkout this case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI

It costs $90 from newegg.

Tons of dust filters, led on/off switch for fans at top of case, awesome air flow with quiet stock cooling. Only 2 USB ports at the front instead of 3 though. I'm ordering it for my new build.

I've read something about the CPU cooler cutout not suitable for Asus P8P67 motherboards. I'm not sure what the cutout does. Could someone clarify? With pictures, perhaps?

Edit: Found out what the cutout is for and that it won't affect me. I'll take another look at that case then.

I'm also looking at the Lancool K58 which is on sale on Newegg for $65. It is supposed to be like the K62 except it has no window, interior is not black, and only has two black fans (no LEDs). There's no top fans and apparently you have to do something special to put any fans there (something about rubber mounts that you can steal from your unused HDD bays). Anyone know how loud it is or if I'll have any heat problems? Warranty is still pretty much useless.

I'm wondering if whatever case I get I could just put in a couple Scythe S-Flex fans or something else quiet and it'd be enough. That'd tack on about $30, though.
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:38:49 PM

The cutout lets you add an aftermarket hs/fan w/ a backplate without taking the motherboard out of the case. It's a nice thing to have, but not necessary. Chances are, you test everything outside of the case to ensure they work and then mount the motherboard with cpu and hs/fan already installed. Have you looked at the Cooler Master Storm Scout?
m
l
April 8, 2011 9:50:52 PM

I second the recommendation for the CM690 II Advanced. Mine has been an absolute pleasure to work with, it has an led on/off switch, 3 fans, filters, all black construction, and top-mounted switches that are perfect for an under- desk installation. No front usb 3.0 but c'mon, its $90!
m
l
April 8, 2011 10:27:57 PM

I'd also recommend the Cooler Master 912 (low end of budget), 922 (mid range), and 932 (a bit past ;) ), as they are all very spacious cases, have great airflow and cable routing, and are well reputed.
m
l
April 8, 2011 11:22:08 PM

^^I second the recommendation of the HAF 912. It comes with non-led fans, and the ability to add more. I added two 200mm red-led fans and it is still silent.
m
l
April 8, 2011 11:31:45 PM

if you want front USB3, ASRock's Extreme 4 and the MSI P8P67A-G35 both come with 5.25" slot mounts for USB3 (use one of the motherboard USB3 pin sets)

I'm personally fond of Rosewill's cases, and they have several that might fit your needs, Starting with teh $50 Destroyer and Challenger and moving up from there.

I have the tiny Rosewill R102 in my own build, and it's a solid mini tower, but won't handle the larger cards (max 9.5" card)
m
l
April 9, 2011 12:21:20 AM

Edit: Started writing this before the two comments above were posted. I'll consider their advice later tonight.

Hmm, the CM690 II Advanced is looking pretty good to me right now.

Three things, though:

1)Will much dust (or dog hair >_>) come through the side vents if there's no fan there? Could I just block them somehow? Guys like this: http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14661 seem to think a lot of dust can get in. Blocking them could reduce sound a tiny bit I think.

2) I read something about a short or something with the case/IO port that causes reboots when plugging things into the front IO ports. For example (Newegg review, and not the only time I've heard this):

Quote:
Customer service is quite bad!!! There is a known problem with many of the Cooler Master models where upon plugging anything into one of the front panel ports (USB or audio) the system will reboot. According to Cooler Master this can be fixed by replacing the front panel. After several contacts with CM support and several assurances that my part would be shipped to me the next day I still have no part and a rebooting PC.

Can this show up over time, or would I know immediately? (In which case I'd be getting support from Amazon and waiting only a very short time.)

3) Are the fans really as quiet as the CM website says? It says 19 dBa for the 140mm (front and top) and 17 dBa for the 120mm (rear). That would, literally, be whisper quiet...

And thanks for the help! BTW, I think I'll get the Pro P8P67. If Amazon gets it back in stock at $190, that's only about $25 more than the regular version. A few minor features + Intel NIC sounds worth it to me.
m
l
April 9, 2011 12:32:00 AM

I see the HAF 912 Advanced in limited quantities on the CM site for $100. Is that even worth considering? Advanced and Plus are the same version?
m
l
April 9, 2011 12:45:09 AM

I don't really know the difference(s) (if any) between the 912 and the 912 Advanced. The regular 912 is only $60 though...
m
l
April 9, 2011 1:26:26 AM

912 Advanced includes a 200mm front fan (instead of 120mm) and has a black-painted interior
m
l
April 9, 2011 2:32:01 AM

Could anyone shed some light on those three questions I asked about the CM690 II Advanced, please?
m
l

Best solution

April 9, 2011 5:13:28 AM

The shorting out issue has been resolved. No problems there. The side vents do not have filters but I would be amazed if much dust or dog hair got in there. There is no fan sucking air in (unless you add one) and the holes are still quite small. As for the fans, I can't hear mine at all. My cpu fans can get pretty loud but I never hear the case fans and they are direct-connected to the psu and run at full speed all the time....
April 9, 2011 6:09:19 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
if you want front USB3, ASRock's Extreme 4 and the MSI P8P67A-G35 both come with 5.25" slot mounts for USB3 (use one of the motherboard USB3 pin sets)

I'm personally fond of Rosewill's cases, and they have several that might fit your needs, Starting with teh $50 Destroyer and Challenger and moving up from there.

I have the tiny Rosewill R102 in my own build, and it's a solid mini tower, but won't handle the larger cards (max 9.5" card)

The ASRock Extreme4 front 2 port USB3 is 3.5" not 5.25"
m
l
April 9, 2011 7:19:25 AM

I really like my HAF X, has the USB 3.0 front ports and everything which are quite useful.
m
l
April 9, 2011 2:30:26 PM

farsuka said:
I really like my HAF X, has the USB 3.0 front ports and everything which are quite useful.

The only problem is that it's about $70 out of the OP's price range. It does say a lot about CM's other cases, since they're all somewhat similar.
m
l
April 9, 2011 3:53:44 PM

I decided to get the CM690 II Advanced. It seems to fit everything I need. I just need to pick out a DVD drive and I'm ready to build!
m
l
April 9, 2011 3:55:18 PM

Best answer selected by helpme3948.
m
l
!