Sign in with
Your question

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866Mhz Not Working on ASUS P67 Sabertooth?!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 12, 2012 10:43:46 PM

I've got a problem with running Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1866mhz at dual channel on a ASUS P67 Sabertooth B3.

If I try both in the primary slots (A2 + B2) with the SPD settings it won't boot. I've tried solving it by using the MemOK! switch to automaticaly find the proper settings to achieve a boot, therafter updating the BIOS via the EZ flash 2 tool, then tried using the XMP profile in the Ai tweaker on the BIOS, and I've also tried setting the speed, latencies and voltage manualy in the Ai tweaker on the BIOS to Corsair's tested specs (as recommended to me by ASUS tech support staff), BUT ALL TO NO AVAIL!!

At the moment I am only running one 4gb module at 1866mhz and 1.5v (and with standard SPD settings) in both slots in slot B2, it also boots when one module is in slot A2. Ive also tried using the secondary slots (A1+B1) in dual channel and one module in each slot but that results in no boot all round...

I'm seriously starting to regret this setup, I thought I checked compatibility properly (although I neglected to properly check the qualified vendor list for DDR3 RAM for the mobo on ASUS's site). But what still bugs me is that the mobo is capable of running 1866Mhz DDR3 modules, and this guy on the following link (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1677078) with the exact same mobo, RAM and CPU to mine was able to do so initially, but when he swapped them for Kingston HyperX 2x4gb 1600mhz at 1.65v he had the exact same problem...

Others have also used Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz 1.5v at dual channel with the P67 Sabertooth with success (as far as I know), It may be possible for me to return the 1866mhz modules and swop them for 1600mhz but I would rather have the 1866mhz and I'm not sure if a swop will remedy the problem.

So is it plain incompatibility (which I doubt), faulty RAM or a faulty mobo, OR WHAT?!

Please help!!!!! :cry: 

My system specs
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 B3
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 1866 MHz 2x4=8GB (with only one 4gb module working)
GPU: MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II OC
SSD: Corsair Force 3 60G SATA3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 160GB
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
March 12, 2012 11:55:14 PM

Welcome back to Tom's Forum! :) 

The QVL list is more less meaningless, the SB LGA 1155 should only use 1.50 DIMM RAM.

First make sure they're in the correct DIMM slots:
CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB | blank |

There is no such a thing as "XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 1866" so you either have Corsair XMS3 (1.65v) or Vengeance (1.50v). So I'm going to GUESS you meant Vengeance. I'm not going to read someone else's goof-ups (thread). One of these kits - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

RAM: (assuming) DDR3-1866 9-10-9-27-2N @ 1.50v

BIOS:
XMP Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile 1
VCCIO Voltage -> 1.20v
Save and Exit = yes

<or>

Manual Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1866
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
/Set (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD) ; 9-10-9-27-2N see above/
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v~1.55v
VCCIO Voltage -> 1.20v
Save and Exit = yes

Failure:
IF that doesn't work then try (F5) Load Optimized Defaults, and if that fails then you've got a bad stick.

Test:
CPU: | blank | 4GB/stick1 | blank | blank | blank | ; swap sticks
CPU: | blank | 4GB/stick2 | blank | blank | blank |

Let me know.
March 13, 2012 3:46:58 PM

Thanks for the replies jaquith and Gene O. :)  Yes jaquith, there is no such thing as "XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 1866", my bad... :whistle: 

Gene O, I checked the Corsair configurator and the modules are supposed to be compatible with the mobo (see here: ).

I tried them again in "CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB |" dual channel config as I have always done, and I did so with both sets of BIOS settings and then with F5 defaults as recommended by jaquith, still no boot... :fou: 

Then I tried testing the modules one at a time in all slots with F5 defaults. Both modules work one at a time in "CPU: | blank | blank | blank | 4GB |" and "CPU: | blank | blank | 4GB | blank |" configs. But "CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | blank |" and "CPU: | 4GB | blank | blank | blank |" gives me no boot with the MemOK! light burning like always. I also tried "CPU: | 4GB | blank | 4GB | blank |", and got the same dreaded result as always.

For the hell of it I also tried single channel "CPU: | blank | blank | 4GB | 4GB |", which booted. But "CPU: | 4GB | 4GB | blank | blank |" gives the same dreaded result as always.

ASUS labels the slots "CPU: | A1 | A2 | B1 | B2 |", slots A1 + B1 are brown and A2 + B2 are beige. I'm starting to think slots A1 + A2 are deffective...

Seems like there are many others with p67 Sabertooths and dual channel memory problems, some say it is a common occurance with ASUS 1155 chipsets. It was the first time I bought an ASUS product and probably the last. My brother has always recomended and got Intel mobos for my setups before I attempted this one on my own, they seem to be way more user friendly than this one from ASUS from what I've seen.

I've had enough struggling with this mobo and the RAM, I will email the retailer tomorrow for a refund sighting a deffective product. I'm thinking of getting a EVGA P67 SLI in the Sabertooth's place...
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
March 13, 2012 4:25:25 PM

pusshead said:
Then I tried testing the modules one at a time in all slots with F5 defaults. Both modules work one at a time in "CPU: | blank | blank | blank | 4GB |" and "CPU: | blank | blank | 4GB | blank |" configs. But "CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | blank |" and "CPU: | 4GB | blank | blank | blank |" gives me no boot with the MemOK! light burning like always. I also tried "CPU: | 4GB | blank | 4GB | blank |", and got the same dreaded result as always.

For the hell of it I also tried single channel "CPU: | blank | blank | 4GB | 4GB |", which booted. But "CPU: | 4GB | 4GB | blank | blank |" gives the same dreaded result as always.

ASUS labels the slots "CPU: | A1 | A2 | B1 | B2 |", slots A1 + B1 are brown and A2 + B2 are beige. I'm starting to think slots A1 + A2 are deffective...

Correct conclusion! :( 

If you have an aftermarket HSF with any metal making direct contact to the MOBO <or> a case with 'pseudo' standoffs (i.e. thy don't ALL look like below, then either of those can induce a short or a grounding short and case a failure as described.

HSF:
Screw | Metal Backplate || MOBO || Standoff/etc | ; metal to MOBO on both ends ; risks short/grounding short
best:
Screw | Metal Backplate | Plastic Washer || MOBO || Plastic Washer | Standoff/etc | ; insulated & safe regardless of manual
<or>
Screw | Plastic/Composite Backplate || MOBO || Plastic Washer | Standoff/etc | ; insulated & safe regardless of manual

Proper Standoff:

Solution, either use a Plastic Washer (dab of silicone/glue to secure in place) or 2-3 layers of cut electrical tape on a case with 'punch-put' 'pseudo' standoffs.
March 13, 2012 5:35:32 PM

pusshead said:
I've had enough struggling with this mobo and the RAM, I will email the retailer tomorrow for a refund sighting a deffective product. I'm thinking of getting a EVGA P67 SLI in the Sabertooth's place...

get z68 board for quick sync support atleast
March 29, 2012 10:34:39 PM

Well I finally got the Vengeance 1866 RAM modules to run in dual channel, no thanks to the ASUS P67 Sabertooth B3 mobo... :sarcastic: 

I was at my wit's end with the Sabertooth and decided to excercize my right to a refund within 14 days of recieving it, but when I took out the the i5 2500K to box the mobo I found that 3 CPU contact pins on the mobno CPU socket were horribly bent in three different places. :ouch:  So that explains why my RAM didn't run in dual channel, the contact pins relating to certain memory slots were f**ked. :pfff:  There was no way it could have been my fault, it wasn't my first time installing a 1155 CPU (I had done so on Intel and Gigabyte 1155 mobos before) and I had double checked the instructions and procedures in addition to being super careful. I still sent back the mobo, I had sighted the RAM modules not running in dual channel as the reason prior to the discovery of the bent contact pins.

I was quite nervous waiting on a reply from the retailer and it took more than 10 days after sending it away but I was relieved when the retailer sent me an email informing me my return and refund had been approved. A stroke of good luck or had they dealt with a similar case previously?? :??: 

To get back to the ASUS P67 Sabertooth B3: After discovering the bent CPU contact pins I did a Google search and discovered I was but one of many P67 Saberrtooth (especially this mobo) and other ASUS socket 1155 users with the exact same problem i.e. bent socket contact pins (some also experienced physical damage to their CPUs due to the socket clamp) or mostly the symtoms thereof i.e. RAM not running in dual channel, or both. My conclusion: ASUS is using defective CPU socket parts on 1155 chipsets. I just shudder to think how many other P67 Sabertooth users who are having problems running their memory in dual channel on the mobo (there are TOO MANY, I checked... :non:  ) who do not have an inkling their CPU contact pins are f**ked! :fou: 

If you happen to stumble on to this post whilst looking for info regarding your RAM not being able to run in dual channel on the P67 Sabertooth my best advice to you is RETURN IT TO YOUR RETAILER ASAP!! (or try to cause a fuss to get some sort of replacement because your mobo is a piece of crap). If you stumble onto this thread whilst trying to gather info on the ASUS P67 Sabertooth B3 whilst considering to buy it my best advice is DON'T, and that includes any other ASUS 1155 chipset mobo!!

I don't mean to rain on any ASUS fans' parade but there seems to be many similar issues as I had experienced with their socket 1155 offerings which is a serious reason for concern within the enthusiast PC scene. ASUS' reaction towards most who experience this problem is also worrying seeing as they just blame it on user incompetence´and don't need to do anything to solve a problem seamingly caused by them using inferior/defective components. :pfff:  It was the first and last time I had bought anything from ASUS, apart from the USB wireless adapter I had bought with the rest of my setup recently (it seems to be working fine). :ange: 

I replaced the P67 Sabertooth with a EVGA Z68 SLI, it has all the features of the P67 Sabertooth but with SSD caching and quick sync support advantages of the Intel Z68 chipsets. It's a good quality and similarly priced mid-range mobo with good accesories and with much better looks than the P67 Sabertooth (which I will recommend to other prospective 1155 users), which I now see for the gimmick and defect ridden piece of junk it really is... :) 
!