Anything I can do with these spare parts?

harry286

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I have a Dell XPS m1710 laptop with a fried vid card and I was wondering If there was anything I can take from it for my new desktop computer I recently built. Idk if it matters but my desktop's mobo is a MSI P67A-GD65. I figure their prolly isnt anything I can use (except the hdd, got that) but thought I would ask. And for the parts I can't use that are worth something is ebay my best option?

Not really. Different RAM slots, different CPU socket, basically not much that's going to be compatible. The hard drive you can get to work, but I don't know why you'd want to use a 5-year-old 100GB drive on a new machine, even just as a data drive. It's likely to die well before your main drive (which I assume is new) anyway, and I generally don't see it doing anything except causing you trouble. 100GB of hard drive space is worth about $5-$7 these days; if you're that hard up for space, you're better off just getting a bigger HDD for your new machine in the first place.

harry286

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I already put the hdd in my new comp and have it running ubuntu (its a 200GB 7200rpm SATA, so decent enough). I have a 1TB as my main and a 750gb external drive so I'm good on space. I figured nothing would work... There was one thing I was wanting to try though, it has a sd card slot and my desktop does not. I didnt realize how much I use sd cards till the XPS broke. So would there be anyway to connect the sd card slot to my desktop mobo? (idk if the card slot is part of the mobo in laptop, if thats the case, im guessing no)

Nope. If the GPU is on an MXM card (it might be on an XPS but don't know for sure) you could get another one off ebay and replace it. If it's soldered on to the motherboard though, you will have to replace the motherboard with a compatible one which involves some effort to find ant alot of effort to replace.

harry286

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I looked into getting a new video card for it (geforce go 7950 gtx i believe). But they are very expensive... I would have to find a very cheap one to make it feasible...