Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Computer Turns on Automatically When Plugged (Tried to Upgrade RAM)

Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR2
  • RAM
  • Computer
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
Share
March 12, 2012 10:49:42 PM

Hi all,

I just tried to seat 2 * Corsair DDR2 2gb PC2-6400 (XMS2) into the empty slots in my computer to upgrade it to a total of 8GB ram. When I plugged the power cord back into the computer, it automatically turned on and beeped twice continuously with the fans running on high. I took them out and replugged the power supply: when I did that, the computer still turned on automatically when plugged in but without beeps and everything ran just like normal.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise on a Dell Studio 540 0m017g mobo with 2*2gb DDR2 PC2-6400 and a Q8200 processor.

I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong and if it's possible to still upgrade my RAM with the 2*2gb corsairs.


Note: I'm a complete noob at this, so please be patient with me :) 

Thanks! :) 

More about : computer turns automatically plugged upgrade ram

March 13, 2012 12:38:45 AM

Update: I also disconnected the front panel power cord from the motherboard and the computer did not turn on automatically when I plugged the psu cord back in.

Update2: Checked the forums and people have been saying the 0m017g mobo handles 1.8V and the new Corsair DDR2 says 1.8V as well.
Score
0
March 13, 2012 10:38:43 AM

Bump
Score
0
Related resources
March 13, 2012 11:40:03 AM

Hi,
Just check whether your push button in the front panel is mechanically stuck in the pushed position. Also check the wiring from the button to the motherboard. If there is damaged isolation, you could either have it shorted to any interior metal part grounding the power-on contact and therefore turning the PC on. Same if isolation on both wires would be damaged so they get shorted together.
Score
0
March 13, 2012 12:52:54 PM

andy_in_kenya said:
Hi,
Just check whether your push button in the front panel is mechanically stuck in the pushed position. Also check the wiring from the button to the motherboard. If there is damaged isolation, you could either have it shorted to any interior metal part grounding the power-on contact and therefore turning the PC on. Same if isolation on both wires would be damaged so they get shorted together.


Thanks for the reply! I was wondering if you could help conjecture on why the Corsairs are giving me such a hard time. The voltages match up, I'm running 64 bit, all 4 DDR2 sets are PC2-6400 so I don't think I'm mixing and matching. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong with upgrading the RAM.

Thanks again! :bounce: 
Score
0
March 13, 2012 1:15:46 PM

I honestly did the stupidest thing and purchased DDR2 with a CL5 instead of 6. Ugh. So dumb.

Do you guys think I should replace my current CL6 memory with the CL5? I understand that it is a minimal upgrade....
Score
0
a c 347 } Memory
March 13, 2012 1:38:42 PM

Mix-Matching (2) sets of RAM is never a good idea. If the problem stops after removing one of the sets, RAM is in the correct DIMM slots in 2x2GB, and a proper Clear CMOS procedure then you know your answer.

Clear CMOS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Q - What MOBO or Model PC? Provide a link if a pre-built OEM PC.
Q - What exact Sets of RAM? Provide links to both sets, or post the 'SPD' screens of CPU-z of both sets (see below). I can then attempt to give you manual settings that 'might' correct the problems.
CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Score
0
March 13, 2012 1:53:05 PM

jaquith said:
Mix-Matching (2) sets of RAM is never a good idea. If the problem stops after removing one of the sets, RAM is in the correct DIMM slots in 2x2GB, and a proper Clear CMOS procedure then you know your answer.

Clear CMOS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Q - What MOBO or Model PC? Provide a link if a pre-built OEM PC.
Q - What exact Sets of RAM? Provide links to both sets, or post the 'SPD' screens of CPU-z of both sets (see below). I can then attempt to give you manual settings that 'might' correct the problems.
CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.cpuid.com/medias/images/en/softwares-cpuz-05.jpg



Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not suggesting that I mix and match the CL5 and 6, I just want to know if I should replace the CL6 RAM with the CL5 since it has a "minor" improvement in terms of performance.

A - MOBO is the Dell 0m017G, Dell Studio 540
A - New RAM, Old RAM is a bit harder to discern since I'm not at the desktop to use CPU-Z. This is probably as close to what I can find out about it. I do remember last time that I used CPU-Z the RAM showed up as being made by "Hyundai Electronics" lol. Didn't know they made RAM.

Thanks for the help!
Score
0
a c 347 } Memory
March 13, 2012 2:22:25 PM

If you are using CAS 5 and CAS 6 RAM then your are indeed Mix-Matching RAM. When you put (2) different kits together, at best' you get the WORST each; slowest wins or you get instability.

DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 @ 1.80v
DDR2-800 6-X-Y-ZZ @ 1.80v
====================
DDR2-800 6-X-Y-ZZ @ 1.80v ; assuming X/Y/ZZ is higher (slower) than 5-5-5-18.

I (you) need to know the '6-X-Y-ZZ' CAS Timings.

Then in the BIOS, OEM BIOS is very limited, you'll need to set the (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) manually and if possible the DRAM Frequency and Voltage.

Another but poorer method is to place the slower RAM in the first DIMM slot per Channel so that the slower 'SPD' is read by the BIOS.

Example only; manual - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/STD540/en...
CPU: | Fast/CH0 A2 | Slow/CH0 A1 | Fast/CH1 B2 | Slow/CH1 A1 |

Dell does offer 'Dell Diagnostics' and it may or may not determine the problem.
Score
0
March 13, 2012 2:29:05 PM

jaquith said:
If you are using CAS 5 and CAS 6 RAM then your are indeed Mix-Matching RAM. When you put (2) different kits together, at best' you get the WORST each; slowest wins or you get instability.

DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 @ 1.80v
DDR2-800 6-X-Y-ZZ @ 1.80v
====================
DDR2-800 6-X-Y-ZZ @ 1.80v ; assuming X/Y/ZZ is higher (slower) than 5-5-5-18.

I (you) need to know the '6-X-Y-ZZ' CAS Timings.

Then in the BIOS, OEM BIOS is very limited, you'll need to set the (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) manually and if possible the DRAM Frequency and Voltage.

Another but poorer method is to place the slower RAM in the first DIMM slot per Channel so that the slower 'SPD' is read by the BIOS.

Example only; manual - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/STD540/en...
CPU: | Fast/CH0 A2 | Slow/CH0 A1 | Fast/CH1 B2 | Slow/CH1 A1 |

Dell does offer 'Dell Diagnostics' and it may or may not determine the problem.


No, all I'm saying is should I replace the CAS6 RAM with the CAS5 RAM since it is slightly faster performance-wise? I really don't want to mess with manual settings to force an 8GB setup if the two timings are different.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
March 13, 2012 2:56:03 PM

Now, if you don't want to try what I recommend, including trying (1) set at a time to determine and/or 'fix' the problem then sure you can 'try' another set of TWIN2X4096-6400C5C (see note).

Again, my recommendations:
1. Try (1) set ; problem is gone then the 'problem' is mix-matching RAM
2. Try swapping DIMM slots, each Kit MUST be in the same colored DIMM slots.
3. Try manually setting the Frequency, Voltage and CAS Timings (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
4. FULL MATCHED SET of 4x2GB, examples:
Fully Matched Set - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Next best (2) Matched Sets:
Crucial - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Studi...
NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Note: TWIN2X4096-6400C5C you can get another set, above I choose the most reliable and at a reasonable cost.

This issue of Mix-Matching RAM is a very common problem; Ideal Solution always purchase a FULL MATCHED 4x_GB Set if possible.
Share
March 13, 2012 3:28:20 PM

jaquith said:
Now, if you don't want to try what I recommend, including trying (1) set at a time to determine and/or 'fix' the problem then sure you can 'try' another set of TWIN2X4096-6400C5C (see note).

Again, my recommendations:
1. Try (1) set ; problem is gone then the 'problem' is mix-matching RAM
2. Try swapping DIMM slots, each Kit MUST be in the same colored DIMM slots.
3. Try manually setting the Frequency, Voltage and CAS Timings (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
4. FULL MATCHED SET of 4x2GB, examples:
Fully Matched Set - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Next best (2) Matched Sets:
Crucial - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Studi...
NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Note: TWIN2X4096-6400C5C you can get another set, above I choose the most reliable and at a reasonable cost.

This issue of Mix-Matching RAM is a very common problem; Ideal Solution always purchase a FULL MATCHED 4x_GB Set if possible.


Ok, I guess you did answer my original question the best and I pretty much have gotten a solid sense of the increase in performance from CAS6 to CAS5.

Thanks!
Score
0
March 13, 2012 3:28:31 PM

Best answer selected by pyrosaga.
Score
0
a c 146 } Memory
March 13, 2012 11:40:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0
!