Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 570 Owners Read: Overclocking Deaths and Apparent Causes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 1, 2011 6:05:24 AM

So I got offered a GTX 570 as trade for my Zotac GTX 480 AMP!, and since the GTX 570 seems to be an overclocking monster, I considered it. Because of this, I stumbled onto a discussion on OCN which leads me to the subject of this thread.

Link to discussion:
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/929152-have-you-killed-...

A summary:

A large crop of GTX 570s are ending up dead when overclocked, even with overclocks that are within reason. Even at 850 Core clock and 1.05 voltage, which I consider a very reasonable overclock, has ended up in the death of the card.

This also seems to happen even if OCP and the other nVidia safety features are ENABLED, and it is a problem REGARDLESS of temperature. Even with excellent water cooling, some cards are dying.

As for why you would disable these features to begin with. Apparently, after about 1.1v some of the power saving features can kick in during gaming.

This does not seem to effect the GTX 580 as it has 2 more power phases, allowing it to handle a lot more voltage. The card failures seem to be as a result of overloading the power phases and/or VRMs.

I can't seem to find whether some aftermarket versions share this same characteristic or not. Hopefully some one else can help with those details.

The best I can recommend is to keep OCP on and do NOT go over 1.1v at most.

Just thought I'd post this up, I hope this helps save some cards.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 6:11:11 PM

This is worring considering both my cards are factory overclocked to 841/1682/990 with 1.050V... I've been having some trouble with one of my 570's, wonder if the VRM's are giving up on me
February 1, 2011 7:49:03 PM

That overclock seems reasonable to me. The OCP is on, I'm sure, and that's how you would fry that card at those settings.
a c 416 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 8:28:33 PM

To expect to overclock a GTX570 to 850mhz is NOT resonable. True, you may find instances where it has been done, but each GPU is different. For example, Guru3d, the home of Afterburner, was only able to get the reference 570 up to 800mhz. Overclockers Club got 785mhz. Legit Reviews got 825mhz. Hardware Heaven got to 800mhz. Of course, you can get the speed higher by adding voltage, and I have seen clocks up to 904mhz. But to push 850mhz as a normal, everyday thing, well, that just might explain why overzealous owners are killing their cards. To get there and above involves knowing what you are doing.
February 1, 2011 9:06:49 PM

17seconds said:
To expect to overclock a GTX570 to 850mhz is NOT resonable. True, you may find instances where it has been done, but each GPU is different. For example, Guru3d, the home of Afterburner, was only able to get the reference 570 up to 800mhz. Overclockers Club got 785mhz. Legit Reviews got 825mhz. Hardware Heaven got to 800mhz. Of course, you can get the speed higher by adding voltage, and I have seen clocks up to 904mhz. But to push 850mhz as a normal, everyday thing, well, that just might explain why overzealous owners are killing their cards. To get there and above involves knowing what you are doing.


Its already common knowledge that the GTX 5xx series has extremely tight VID settings, so stock voltage overclocks are going to be quite low. And yes, 850 MHZ (a 15% overclock) is not unreasonable for these cards with voltage. The GTX 480 that it is based off of could easily hit those clocks and higher, with a lower base clock. Right now I'm sitting at 840 MHz on the core with my GTX 480, which is a 20% overclock on stock voltage.
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 9:35:31 PM

Overclocking my 570 was never a question as it is a VERY nice card to begin with... If i need more GPU power, i will get another for SLI.

As for overclocking the 2600K... Different Story! I am getting some great clocks on this thing and very nice temps!
February 1, 2011 10:15:55 PM

jonpaul37 said:
Overclocking my 570 was never a question as it is a VERY nice card to begin with... If i need more GPU power, i will get another for SLI.

As for overclocking the 2600K... Different Story! I am getting some great clocks on this thing and very nice temps!


I find that my overclock is just right for maxing Metro2033.

Quote:
Its a good thing i never considered a 570 because i would have killed it :) 


Exactly! I'm so glad I didn't trade.
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2011 11:09:26 PM

since those cards came out i have been sceptical about the ocp. it was engaging just when running furmark at stock clocks. i guess the fact that they have it may be a hint that there is a hardware limitation somewhere. It will be interesting to see how the reliability of these cards shapes up in the years to come.
February 2, 2011 2:58:27 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
since those cards came out i have been sceptical about the ocp. it was engaging just when running furmark at stock clocks. i guess the fact that they have it may be a hint that there is a hardware limitation somewhere. It will be interesting to see how the reliability of these cards shapes up in the years to come.


That's not a bad question. That said, the GTX 580, which also has OCP, can withstand such voltages easily, since it has two extra power phases, so I'm not sure how it all lines up.
February 2, 2011 6:18:32 AM

Didn't have my 570's long enough to get them clocked up real high, but when I ca afford two more, I will let you guys know when they die on me!
February 2, 2011 6:20:40 AM

Annisman said:
Didn't have my 570's long enough to get them clocked up real high, but when I ca afford two more, I will let you guys know when they die on me!


Perhaps consider 2 6970s? :lol: 

As far as I can tell, they handle voltage.
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2011 6:25:54 AM

well i have to say, after overclocking numerous video cards over the years, ive never had one die as such. Normally just graphic corruption when its ocd past its limit. going back to toms power consumption test http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-570-gf1... it shows the card throttles back running furmark. maybe the reason the cards are dying is people overclocking/overvolting then running furmark to test stability and the power spike is too much for the card and ocp doesnt engage and POP.......
February 2, 2011 7:42:50 AM

Looks like nvidia doesn't want their cards to be heavily overclocked.In that way they can prevent a gtx 570 owner from reaching 580 performance.They are following intel footsteps.Maybe they are planning a special edition Gtx 570.Which overclocks more.
!