Upgrade time? or next year

Ok,
seeing as its tax time AND im getting extra money back from Collage, Doing a PC upgrade came to mind. Although i just had to rebuild a good chunk of it (melted a few voltage regulators). Really, i think the slow point in my PC is the GPU.... but I really dont have any issues playing games at the moment. Heres my Current Specs

Mobo: ASRock 880G Extreme3
RAM: 8GB a-data DDR3-1600 (8-9-8-24)
PROC: Phenom II x3 740 @ 3849MHz (208x18.5)
GPU: nVidia GTX260 (216sp) factory OC
HDD: OS-Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB Games-Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU: OCZ MODxTreme 700w
Coolermaster HAF 932 case

Decent rig i know.... but i was wondering if that GTX260 would hold up for another generation, or if i should snag a 5xx card.

I am actually a little behind on what games are comming out this year.... but i am most likly going to be playing RIFT... depending on the reviews, Crysis 2... and anything else that catches my eye.... I would really like to stick with nVidia, i tend to use CUDA software once or twice a week (unless DVDfab has ATI acceleration)

I also run 2 monitors, both 22.5", but one is 1680x1050, the other is 1920x1080... i have new idea which one i will be gaming in, as i just got the 1080 in last week.... color looks better (LED LCD), but i do miss the bit of extra height.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

EDIT: Also a hard price limit of $300... really want to keep it closer to $250
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade time year
  1. WHy not look at what ATI has to offer?

This card here is $240 after rebates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102921&cm_re=6950-_-14-102-921-_-Product
  2. anyone else have any input?
  3. GTX 560 Ti if you're looking to spend 250 and want Nvidia for Cuda.
  4. Unless the OP is using scientific applications, CUDA is more or less useless and certainly shouldn't be a consideration point.

Still, the 560Ti is a good choice too.
  5. Griffolion said:
    Unless the OP is using scientific applications, CUDA is more or less useless and certainly shouldn't be a consideration point.

Still, the 560Ti is a good choice too.

I use DVDfan on a regular basis. I know it has CUDA acceleration. But i dont know if it has the ATI equivalent
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product