Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia graphics cards for pentium 2 4

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2011 9:01:49 AM

Hello,
Having trouble with my video driver and display drivers. Am running a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz with an nVidia geForce4 Ti4200 128 Mb card. Tried updating drivers but keeps freezing and crashing. Any way to fix problem or should I update the card? And if so, what card will solve problem without overloading the processor? Got 1.5Gb of RAM.
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 11:00:38 AM

I would uninstall the driver restart the computer and reinstall. If that fails then it may be time for a new cheep video card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 11:40:07 AM

What OS? The Geforce4 series hasn't been supported in a LONG time, so the drivers avaliable must be quite old...
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 12:44:38 PM

Support for this card died a Long time ago at least 6 years ago. I suggest that you purchase a newer card and not look back on the cheap while saving for a new system. That card came out back in 2002 give or take 6 months to a year.
Score
February 1, 2011 1:55:53 PM

meyer970 said:
Hello,
Having trouble with my video driver and display drivers. Am running a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz with an nVidia geForce4 Ti4200 128 Mb card. Tried updating drivers but keeps freezing and crashing. Any way to fix problem or should I update the card? And if so, what card will solve problem without overloading the processor? Got 1.5Gb of RAM.

Am running XP and can't afford total rebuild at the moment so am looking to buy another graphics card to tide me over. Only use PC for applications and internet stuff, not games, so a high spec card isn't really necessary. Am looking for advice on good replacement which my system can handle. Motherboard has old PCI slots, not PCIe.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 2:15:03 PM

meyer970 said:
Am running XP and can't afford total rebuild at the moment so am looking to buy another graphics card to tide me over. Only use PC for applications and internet stuff, not games, so a high spec card isn't really necessary. Am looking for advice on good replacement which my system can handle. Motherboard has old PCI slots, not PCIe.

Go and get your self a Nvidia 6200 agp as your current card is agp and you can purchase a 6200 for about $20 online. It has modern driver support and will be more than enough for your needs even very light gaming.
Score
February 1, 2011 2:20:07 PM

nforce4max said:
Go and get your self a Nvidia 6200 agp as your current card is agp and you can purchase a 6200 for about $20 online. It has modern driver support and will be more than enough for your needs even very light gaming.

Thanks. Will search online (when driver isn't crashing!) but isn't AGP different connection to PCI? Current card has AGP properties but thought it was A PCI card?
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 2:33:29 PM

meyer970 said:
Thanks. Will search online (when driver isn't crashing!) but isn't AGP different connection to PCI? Current card has AGP properties but thought it was A PCI card?

I have a 4400TI which is nothing more than a higher clocked 4200TI which means they are basically the same card and were only made as agp due to their size and power consumption plus pci isn't fast enough for them any way. You got a agp slot. Open your case and it will be the very top slot 90% of the time and it the only one like it in your system. A 6200 will also support Vista and Win7 and will use less power so far as I can remember.
February 1, 2011 5:23:51 PM

Machine has now crashed. Desktop screen is blue and icons are very blocky, message says that my system settings were damaged by a corrupt program. Can still work computer but is not the same. Is this a graphics card failure or a motherboard failure?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 12:09:41 AM

The card is shot, the os is fine and so is your data but the card is dead. It won't be long before you will not get an image or just a garbled screen.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:29:02 PM

OK thanks. Last question before I go shopping. If I buy the GeForce 6 6200 graphics Adaptor GF 6200 AGP 8X 512MB DDR2 DVI-TV out (with a DVI to VGA adaptor) will it run on my system? Motherboard is a D845PESV and only runs 1.5v AGP card. Can't find out if GeForce 6 is 1.5v or 3.3v?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 1:23:47 PM

It will run, don't know how this slipped past me but blame it on the forum spam. It will run just fine and you don't have to worry about the slot voltage unless you are using a much older 3.3v card which only applied to the agp 2x era and older. Both the Geforce4 4200ti and the 6200 are 1.5v cards.
Score
February 4, 2011 1:37:42 PM

I was reading this topic, and at one point i was thinking about telling him to buy 6200, but as i continue to read, i saw that you guys beat me to it... :)  So, i will say go go go and buy that card! GeForce 6200 is an excellent choice for you!

EDIT: syntax
Score
February 4, 2011 3:47:08 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, have ordered 6200 card and an adaptor, should get them next week. If all goes well you won't hear from me again on this subject but if there are any more problems I'll be back for more advice. Hopefully will save me from an expensive rebuild :) 
Score
February 4, 2011 4:55:50 PM

meyer970 said:
Thanks for all your help guys, have ordered 6200 card and an adaptor, should get them next week. If all goes well you won't hear from me again on this subject but if there are any more problems I'll be back for more advice. Hopefully will save me from an expensive rebuild :) 

No problem. But at least give someone "best answer" for best help/advice. Doing so, you will also solve this subject. ;) 
Score
February 5, 2011 9:29:25 AM

adampcman said:
No problem. But at least give someone "best answer" for best help/advice. Doing so, you will also solve this subject. ;) 

How do I go about doing this? Am new to forum so don't know protocols! Is there a button for "best answer"?
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 9:46:18 AM

meyer970 said:
How do I go about doing this? Am new to forum so don't know protocols! Is there a button for "best answer"?

There is now. :whistle: 
Score
February 5, 2011 12:11:07 PM

Would have to give "best answer" to nforce4max for best technical help/advice. Now, does this solve the subject?
Score
February 5, 2011 12:12:09 PM

Best answer selected by meyer970.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 12:12:58 PM

meyer970 said:
Would have to give "best answer" to nforce4max for best technical help/advice. Now, does this solve the subject?

It will mark this thread as "Solved" and then I'll close it.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 12:13:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!