Sign in with
Your question

Different ram values: 4gb vs 6gb

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2011 3:43:25 AM

Ive had my homebuilt for over two years now. It has never given me any problems until recently. This morning it was really acting up. I logged into windows then blue screen. Then i couldnt get past the bios. I reset the settings because i was overclocked and figured that was the issue. it kept freezing in the bios. Im not sure what i did but i was eventually able to get windows running with my bios settings at default. Now, i go to properties on my computer and it shows 4gb of my original 6. it showed six before it began to act up. CPU-Z shows 6gb. i decided to run memtest86 and it found no errors but that showed 4gb. Should i update the bios? i was going to update the ram anyways but could it be something else? How common is that "bent cpu pins" problem ive found? heres my setup

Core i7 920
Vigor Monsoon III
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Asus P6T Mobo
Sapphire 4830 512mb 256-bit
Corsair 720w
WD Caviar Black 640Gb
WD Caviar Black 1TB

More about : ram values 4gb 6gb

a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 3:57:59 AM

Try booting with just 1 stick of ram (2gb)...keep doing that with all 3 sticks and see if one of them wont boot up your computer. If thats the case then that stick just went out.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 3:19:26 PM

Quote:
How common is that "bent cpu pins" problem ive found? heres my setup

Bent cpu pins problem you found?? What do you mean by that and what does that have to do with your ram??
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2011 5:40:43 PM

ive read that a cpu cooler thats too heavy can cause some pins to bend causing it to not see all of the ram. the vigor monsoon 3 i have on there is pretty heavy so idk if that caused it over the years. im going to try two stick at a time since my mobo manual says it has to run atleast a dual channel setup and try to figure out which one is faulty.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2011 3:17:19 PM

I've never heard of that, but with some of the ridiculous coolers out there I don't doubt it.
m
l
April 8, 2011 5:49:22 PM

i just noticed, whenever i set my bios to anything except auto in my ram settings, it will show 4gb in computer properties. its only when my bios settings are on auto that my computer properties shows 6gb now..
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:27:42 PM

nvm, it seems like more of a rare freakish occurance that my computer randomly shows the full 6gb. could one stick just be tweaking out on me?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2011 12:45:31 PM

Have you tried booting with just one stick? If your mobo wont let you, do 2 sticks instead. Run the 3 possible combination of 2 sticks with memtest for a couple hours each or until a combination throws an error. Through some deductive logic after running all 3 combinations you should be able to single out the bad sick.

So, dont put it on auto, go into bios and set it to what its advertised. (if you set it on auto i think it bumps it down to 1333, so make sure you set it to 1600 with the correct timings -> 9/9/9/24)

Run memtest on sticks 1 + 2 -> test 1
then 1+3 -> test 2
then 2+3 -> test 3

If one stick is bad then 2 of those tests should fail and 1 should be good. So if test 1 and 3 fail that means stick 2 is faulty and you should RMA etc.
I hope i make sense.
m
l
!