GTX 580 FTW EVGA?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If you're into water cooling and you don't want to apply the block already then that's what you're paying for. Otherwise, just stick to a standard 580 and overclock that as the standard cooler is very capable already.

allkindsoftime

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

I'm not into water cooling, I'm into the best performance vs money. My question is the 200$ justified, can I OC that card alot further then the galaxy 580, is the performance increase equal to that of 200$+

Could someone who has either a stock 580 or the waterblock 580 answer?

chrisjczar

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I don't own the 580 hydro (yet) but I do watercooling so I have this to offer:

advantages to hydro 580
- liquid cooling is quieter, allows for higher OC's
- built in/aka stock water cooler of the evga580hydro is covered by warranty vs. buying a 580 and adding on a danger den or someone else's block which voids the warranty

disadvantages:
you're paying for the above advantages! :)

cost-benefit analysis for me = I'm buying the hydro 580 (or perhaps 590)

extra $200 = quieter system with higher OC's that's still covered by warranty

if quiet system doesn't matter and you don't want to deal with water cooling, then you have your answer

brohde88

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I run dual GTX 580's and I will say that the fan can get pretty loud. I can have a stable OC at 920/2200 @ 1.100 V (I forget what the second on is because it changes with the top on in MSI afterburner. Some might say that the OC is unwarranted, but most people have not played Metro 2033 at max settings and had FPS of > 70. The fans can get considerably loud, but I personally would not pay the extra $200 and put that toward a second GTX 580. That is only my personal preference though.

Hopefully, you already have a water cooled system, otherwise the expense is much more than just the card itself. As for the GTX 580, a little overclocking goes a long way, but there is a limit somewhere above 900 mhz regardless of whether you are on water or air.

If I had my choice right now, I would go for the air cooled Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC, which Guru3d was able to get up to 961 mhz @ 72c and 42 Dba. They claim that 1 Ghz is reachable. The Gigabyte SOC is factory overclocked at 855 mhz, while the EVGA Hydro is factory overclocked at 850 mhz.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-580-so-review/

A review of the EVGA Hydro at Hot Hardware. They were able to hit 1005 mhz:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/EVGA-GTX-580-FTW-Hydro-Copper-2-Review/?page=1

hc2_temps.png

musikman73

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hey Brode,

Just out of curiosity, what are you running that requires TWO 580's? I'm just getting ready to install ONE in my rig, and it seems fast as heck. I'm also not a gamer, I'm just going to be running Adobe Production Suite for an 8mm film to video project for my family, and the Adobe specs prefer 470/570/580, so I figured I'd go with the big guns.

Since I'm saddled with an AMD mobo that's a couple of years old, the biggest CPU I can install is the Phenom II 980 (3.7), and to have room to edit, I'm pulling the three 2GB Ballistix out and replacing them with four 4GB Ballistix.

NOW my only problem is getting a PSU to fit. The mid-tower has a (don't laugh) 300W PSU stock (hp p6319f), and came with the "onboard video," so that's going to be a pretty chip on the motherboard.

Does this sound doable for video editing? (If you get into such..)

Rick