32GB kit vs 2 x 16GB kits (quad channel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kngmax

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hi. I'm building a custom workstation rig based on the Sandy Bridge-e cpu. I'm planing on installing 32GB of RAM. It seems that in my country there's no means of buying a 32gb kit, I'm wondering if two sets of 16GB(4x4) would be the same, and work in the same way in terms of stability? I've read similar threads on 16GB builds with XMP causing bios problems and bsod-s. Since I'm also planing on overclocking the CPU, would it be better to consider four 8GB modules instead of eight 4GB modules? I won't be overclocking the RAM.

Solution
The best results in your particular instance is to get a fully matched 4x8GB set. Otherwise the next best is two kits of 4x4GB DDR3-1600 CAS 9. I've had good luck with Corsair Vengeance putting together 2 kits of 4x4GB. I would suggest if you have any problems to manually set both the VCCSA & VTT Voltages to 1.10v and attempt using the XMP Profile.

If you have problems then please feel free to PM me, and I'll try to help.

Good Luck! :)
The best results in your particular instance is to get a fully matched 4x8GB set. Otherwise the next best is two kits of 4x4GB DDR3-1600 CAS 9. I've had good luck with Corsair Vengeance putting together 2 kits of 4x4GB. I would suggest if you have any problems to manually set both the VCCSA & VTT Voltages to 1.10v and attempt using the XMP Profile.

If you have problems then please feel free to PM me, and I'll try to help.

Good Luck! :)

Solution

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

+1, Also Kngmax. Check your mobo manual for these settings and configurations as well. To prevent any damage or instability issues with your computer system.

Status
Not open for further replies.