PSU works for one pc but not the other?

jimbo12345

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I reused a psu from old build for a new one. Thermaltake tr2 470w.
I managed to boot it up and install windows etc before i put in the gpu (4870). Then i connected the graphics card and turned on the pc but there was no beep for startup. There was a louder than usual click when i clicked the switch on the psu if thats relevent and the keyboard lit up for a second.
Anyway, now I can't use the psu in that computer, it jsut doesn't boot up, fans etc are on. (even without gpu). However the psu works fine in my old build.

I also tried a friends psu in the new build and it works fine(with graphics card).

So it seems the psu has stopped working for that motherboard o_O but im a novice so I would like your opinions please.

Thanks.

New build (ati 4870, 500gb hdd, dvd drive, athlon2 3x core 2.9ghz, 4gb ram )
Old build (athlon 2x core 2.2ghz, dvd drive, 1gb ram, 200gb hdd, 1950x ati)

Your new computer needs more 12 volt capacity than your old computer PSU can provide. That's why your old PSU works in your old computer and not your new one. And I am betting that the PSU that you borrowed from your friend has a higher 12 volt capacity.

That's why I always recommend swapping out a suspect PSU with a known good one of similar capacity or better.

The new video card needs almost twice as much power.