Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wondering which graphic card is better...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Brother
  • ATI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2011 2:15:56 PM

What is up everybody. I have been looking for a graphics card for my brother and would like to get him a ATI 6950. I have been wondering if there is a difference (much) in the GTX 470, ATI 6970, and the Nvidia 560/570. The monitor I have is...if I am right I think it is 1920 X 1200 (the best one basically.)

Would there be a big leap of fps with any of the mentioned graphic cards, or are they just closely together?

P.S: I usually look upon which graphic card is better in this website.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Is this a reliable website for high-end graphic cards?

Thanks.

More about : wondering graphic card

February 1, 2011 2:22:47 PM

Lol thanks. I always thought something was fishy but I will now look in to toms hardware from now on. Thanks again.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 2:23:28 PM

The 6950 and 560 are very closely tied in terms of value. They will both perform roughly the same and are priced very closely with each other. I would edge towards the 6950 in your case as the 6950's extra memory would be better suited to that type of resolution.

Btw, regarding the chart on that site, its only a synthetic benchmark, not real world performance, so don't take much from it.
Score
February 1, 2011 2:28:12 PM

Griffolion said:
The 6950 and 560 are very closely tied in terms of value. They will both perform roughly the same and are priced very closely with each other. I would edge towards the 6950 in your case as the 6950's extra memory would be better suited to that type of resolution.

Btw, regarding the chart on that site, its only a synthetic benchmark, not real world performance, so don't take much from it.

All right but one question. What you mean by, "synthetic benchmark". Please elaborate, I'm a "youngster". :) 
Score
a c 208 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 2:31:03 PM

Synthetics are idealistic and try to represent the current state of software and the future requirements of software, while real world benchmarks use normal software that you would use like real games or Adobe applications to give a true sense of which cards do better in which applications.
Score
February 1, 2011 2:33:49 PM

hunter315 said:
Synthetics are idealistic and try to represent the current state of software and the future requirements of software, while real world benchmarks use normal software that you would use like real games or Adobe applications to give a true sense of which cards do better in which applications.

All right thanks Hunter. Appreciate it! Still wondering if there is much of a difference in the certain graphic cards. Please more opinions. :D 
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 2:38:31 PM

The Fermi architecture in the GTX series has small but many tesellation units built into the SM's themselves while the ATI architectures have large but few tessellation units built side by side with the other GPU parts. The GTX series tends to do better in tessellation heavy applications, but otherwise, similarly performance cards tend to be neck and neck, perhaps with Nvidia edging out a lead in most situations. However, ATI are often the popular choice based on their consistently lower price, power consumption and heat output compared to equivalent Nvidia cards.

I will still say the 6950 in your case.
February 1, 2011 2:41:35 PM

Griffolion said:
The Fermi architecture in the GTX series has small but many tesellation units built into the SM's themselves while the ATI architectures have large but few tessellation units built side by side with the other GPU parts. The GTX series tends to do better in tessellation heavy applications, but otherwise, similarly performance cards tend to be neck and neck, perhaps with Nvidia edging out a lead in most situations. However, ATI are often the popular choice based on their consistently lower price, power consumption and heat output compared to equivalent Nvidia cards.

I will still say the 6950 in your case.

Thanks Griff! I will just get the 6950 thanks.
Score
February 1, 2011 2:49:08 PM

Best answer selected by Geeksire.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 3:18:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!