RAM and Motherboard question

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I recently purchased a new computer and I am going to build it when the parts arrive. This is my first PC that I will be building and I have some questions regarding the motherboard and RAM

I get very confused when it comes to tri channel, dual channel RAM etc and how this integrates with the motherboard.

I would like to list my RAM and motherboard and could someone please explain if I have purchased the correct amount of RAM for my rig.

RAM: G.Skill RipJaw 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard, Memory :4x DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

Does this means that I should of bought 4 sticks of RAM instead of two for my motherboard?

If so will my computer not work now?

Or will it just effect the performance?

I would really appreciate if someone could explain this for me.

Thanks

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

You'll be fine with just two sticks of ram. If you put them in the correct slots(read the mobo manual) it will boot into dual channel, which means it can read and write from both sticks of ram at the same time. Triple channel is not used as often and you need three sticks of ram to use it and a mobo that supports it. If you put the ram in the incorrect slots, it will boot, just not in dual channel and it will run slower.

You can use, one, two, three or four sticks of ram, but it only runs in dual channel if you buy matched pairs(sticks) of ram

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I bought 2 sticks of the same RAM, so I should have no problems installing it in the mobo? Im just so worried that I have bought something that will not match/work properly with another part, forcing me to return it or something.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

nope, you're good. Don't worry.