Problem with Geforce 8600M GS

Iuliu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
""Hi everyone.
I have a strange problem with my video card Nvidia 8600M GS.Every time i try to play a game that requires 3D my screen crashes like you can see here: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/61/sdc10963y.jpg
On Vista and Win 7 i can`t even install the video driver anymore because my screen crashes right after rebooting.So i use Win XP Pro.
I can`t use the latest driver from Nvidia website so i use the driver from the Medion website.
And now is the strange part .2 weeks ago i decided to take off the cooler,clean it and replace the thermal "thing" it had on chipsets.So i took my laptop went to my brother`s house and before doing that i wanted to show him that my laptop can`t run 3D games .So i started a game and...it worked :pt1cable: .The game was running fine and i was very happy.
I installed Everest Ultimate and the GPU temperature was 60-65 C on 2D and 80-90 C on 3D mode.I cleaned the cooler,used a cooper based thermal paste on chipsets and came back home.
In the next 2 days i runned 3D Mark 2003 a lot and also i played X3 Reunion just to make sure everything works well.And it worked well for 2 days but then the problem reappeared .
Even when i start a movie or a flash app like a game or an youtube video i get some weird artefacts on the screen (small dots ) but everything works fine once i refresh the screen.
I don`t know what my problem is.It doesn`t look like an overheating problem or a driver problem since it worked fine with the same driver.
What do you think i should do ?
Thank you and sorry for my bad english it`s not my first language :non:

Iuliu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Well the video card is working again and i did nothing to fix it .The problem is i don`t know for how long and i don`t know what is the problem.

Iuliu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I did that 100 times.Also disabled some other parts like the sound or the wireless connection and tried to run 3D apps that way .I even disabled a core of my processor.
And i updated the Mb BIOS. Unfortunately the bios settings are very poor on a laptop and i can`t even use a program like Ntune.Once i install it windows will restart forever.
I think the only explanation is that the graphic chipset is not well soldered on the motherboard as it should be.Maybe because of the heat ...i have no idea

yeah in the end if you really want to game, you are probably best suited with building a desktop as a low end laptop gpu just doesnt cut it for 3d gaming, if you want me to suggest a build for you tell me you budget and I will get back to you as soon as I can...

Dreamwind

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Basically your card is on its way to card heaven.

If it's doing the same in another machine then it's time to replace you could try baking it but frankly for that I'm not sure I'd bother.

Iuliu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
@ jjb8675309
Thank you for your help but i don`t think i will have another video card as good as this one very soon.
I never had a great PC the best video card i had was a Radeon 9000 and this laptop was a gift and even if it was a used laptop it was like a dream to me .I`m not a hardcore gamer (interested in overclocking ,fps and all that BS ) but the laptop can`t run even Direct X 7 games right now.

@ Dreamwind
It can`t be tried on another computer since it is an onboard chipset. I think it can be fixed for a price around 60 pounds .There is a way called infrared soldering and they will give me 3 months warranty.If that doesn`t work they can replace the graphic chipset and it`s not that expensive ...well for me it is right now .So the best thing i can do is to use my old AMD desktop with Radeon 9000 and to make enough money to fix the laptop.

lol you don't have to be a hardcore gaming to oveclock and play fps, lol , your integrated card is weak compared to just about any disgrete gpu so I was just saying that if you want a real gaming pc..... build a desktop, if you are happy with your laptops performance than what is the purpose of this thread? glad your satisfied, I was just wondering...?

why not just spend 60 on a low end discrete gpu for your desktop it will be worlds better than your laptops integrated gpu... re-soldering, sounds sketchy and def not worth the money/attempt, what if the re-soldering fails down the road? I would personally drop kick the thing, no offense...

Iuliu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
jjb8675309 said : "if you are happy with your laptops performance than what is the purpose of this thread?"

I was hoping someone had the same problem (or he knows how to fix it) and he will tell me how it can be fixed.Re soldering or even replacing the GPU isn`t such a great idea but looks like it is the only way to fix this problem. I can`t be happy with my laptop now if it can`t run 3D. games anymore.I know the video card is not a great high end card but for me is all i need.Still i agree with you it is better to invest the money into a low end video card for my desktop.

Iuliu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Thank you jjb8675309 but i will have to buy one from the local market. Those are great cards but i can`t buy from E-bay.

ah shoot well I would at least get a 5670 or gts 450 as a bare minimum what resolution will you play at on your desktop and what is the make and model of your power supply unit on your desktop and its processor ram, operating system etc? or at least go to run, type dxdiag and hit enter and then post what is under each tab