Tim, can we please strike an agreement?

Sparrow

There have been at least 2 undocumented changes in Host 194 and we have
seen this happening in the past as well. If you think it is a bad thing
to waste your beta testers time in hunting down undocumented changes
and if you would like to avoid getting non-issue bug reports, please
please please keep a list of all changes you do and public them
together with the new host.

This is beneficial for you and much less frustrating for us!

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation

gfm

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

I think he worked from time to time on host 194 and at the end as it
was a longer time since the last host he just has forgotten to mention
all the changes...

Tim, maybe you log immediately any change when doing it...?

GFM GToeroe

Sparrow

With all due respect: Is this a serious suggestion?

How do you know if a change is intentional or not? How do you know when
the change got introduced, as it may not be the host you first find it
in?

Wiki is great, but let's not place work there which clearly belongs to
Tim!

Sparrow

> Tim, maybe you log immediately any change when doing it...?
Yes, actually that was what I was thinking when typing. ;-)))

Lets do our own host change history on the Wiki pages:) There we can edit
ourselfes.

Greetings
Sebastian

<gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I think he worked from time to time on host 194 and at the end as it
> was a longer time since the last host he just has forgotten to mention
> all the changes...
>
> Tim, maybe you log immediately any change when doing it...?
>
> GFM GToeroe

Great Idea, everybody can note down any changes he finds out about and TIM
can give points
to people who guessed right ! ;-)

"Sebastian" <Sebastian@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Lets do our own host change history on the Wiki pages:) There we can edit
> ourselfes.
>
> Greetings
> Sebastian
>
> <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I think he worked from time to time on host 194 and at the end as it
>> was a longer time since the last host he just has forgotten to mention
>> all the changes...
>>
>> Tim, maybe you log immediately any change when doing it...?
>>
>> GFM GToeroe

Sparrow

Actually you could even publish the changes upfront, while you are
implementing them! This way players can prepare upfront and you may get
some good feedback before host is released.

Tim had already done that with one host some time ago, hasn't he?
But I can only second, that a *complete* log of chances would help alot
in beta teasting.

Jochen

Yes.

You can write a mail to Tim and then put it on that page. Tim will shurly
take a look at this and he will know wheather this is a bug.

Although you can also write a message that this is not changed in this host
but you noticed the chance using this host. Normally you don´t use old hosts
so have a list what is there now and missing the information how long it is
there is usually sufficent.

Greetings
Sebastian

Sparrow wrote:
> There have been at least 2 undocumented changes in Host 194 and we have
> seen this happening in the past as well. If you think it is a bad thing
> to waste your beta testers time in hunting down undocumented changes
> and if you would like to avoid getting non-issue bug reports, please
> please please keep a list of all changes you do and public them
> together with the new host.
>
> This is beneficial for you and much less frustrating for us!
>
> Thanks for your understanding and cooperation

I could be alone in this but I rather like the undocumented changes.
Tend to liven up the games. Can't argue with the decrease in efficiency
though.

Fun vs. Work. Even in the Echo cluster.

Skies

No, you are not alone.

September 1, 1939, Warsaw. Germans announce to Poles the new host allows
tanks and aircraft, working together to advance faster than the trench
warfare of 1917 so the Poles will be able to change their strategy to match
the new host.

December 6, 1941, Washington. Japanese explain to Cordell Hull how the new
host allows torpedoes to be dropped in shallow water. Like in harbors.

June 5, 1944. Berlin. Germans study new Host rules. See that it actually is
possible to construct pipelines and floatable harbors to supply an invasion
cross channel even if there is a storm.

August 1, 1945. Imperial Palace, Tokyo. Japanese are informed that nuclear
weapons are included in the new Host.

If you want to play a game that tests whether you have the skills to be a
real life general then the main quality of a real life general is the
ability to have a plan with enough simplicity and flexibility to deal with
the unexpected. Like an early thaw in Russia in 1812 followed by a
re-freeze.

If you want to see if you can read simple computer code and tell if the side
that moves first always wins or always loses, play Nim.

The two have nothing in common.

"Skies" <jhollanti@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I could be alone in this but I rather like the undocumented changes.

I like that idea.
I would suggest something like Calvinball: One player a turn can change
one host rule per turn. This is send via rst to the host and everybody
is excited about the impact.

Or some kind of natural evolution per game: Probabilities of mine
sweeping etc change slowly and then by chance there is a mine sweeping
improvement.

Would spice things up...

I would be againt any player changing the rules (in the game the play),
each player would change a rules that is good for them.

Second in a 30 player games your idea take 30 turns, if my change come
at turn 2 I have an extreme luck advantage, and if it come at turn 31,
extreme bad luck.

We have enought luck in the games, it's not poker.

Lord Lancelot

Oh Lord,
this was an ironical comment on Beezle's historical essay on the events
in real war.
Should have indicated this. My appologies.

But there is also a point in what Beezle wrote: Digging through code to
find the proper twists and tweaks in the game is like playing a
first-person shooter with full radar. Got nothing to do with reality.

There have been at least 2 undocumented changes in Host 194 and we have

seen this happening in the past as well.

What changes are you talking about?

Tim

One is the new Solorian Growth rate.

The other, for the life of me, I can't remember right now.

The other was the Eye of Madagon now makes players forget what is in the
Docs

Uh (shakes head, with enormous effort of will averts vision from Eye of
Madagon) . . .

I don't play COM but I gather that Virgo mine immunity no longer works for
non-COM owners of Virgos. That was mentioned on Drewhead by some guy that
was surprised to find he had lost 120 ships due to the change. As you can
imagine this didn't make him happy.

"Amaranthine" <amaranthine1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> One is the new Solorian Growth rate.
>
> The other, for the life of me, I can't remember right now.

No, it has a lot of in commen with reality. One normally don´t have new
thing but you have to use what you have, put it together in a new way to
match best your purpose.

The best is who gets the best of what he has.

Greetings
Sebastian