A8ae-le computer freezes after disabling onboard graphics

lilfreak

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I have an Compaq Presario SR1650NX with the A8AE-LN Motherboard. I have 3gigs or PC-3200 installed. I wanted to upgrade the graphicx so I bought an Nvidia 210 1gig DDR3 and a Radeon HD 5450 1gig DDR3, Ill tell you why in a minute.

I first bought the Nvidia cad and the computer kept freezing when i would try to install the new card. I did some research and found that boards with Nvidia or Radeon chip sets don't play well if you mix and match say the Radeon Express 200 onboard that came with the motherboard and the Nvidia 210 so then I purchased the Radeon HD 5450. After the computer again started freezing after trying to install the card i went and took a closer look.

The computer is fine if the ATI Radeon Express 200 is installed and enabled but if I disable it or even uninstall it after a few minutes the computer freezes and I end up having to hold the power button down for 6 seconds to reboot it and from there i have to use the last known good settings to get it to boot properly which re-enables or re-installed the onboard. Very frustraighted here.

Here is a link to the board and all pertinent info -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00471060&dlc=en

First Card I tried to install -
ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card

Second Card -
ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

lilfreak

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Ok just to clarify are u telling me that us wint support thr new cards or that it wint support disabeling the onboard card? im sayin that when i open device manager and disable the inboard with out the new caes even in the case it freezes shortly after

lilfreak

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Ok i got that yer saying it dirsny support the NEW cards. my question is why is the computer freezing and locking up shortly after disabeling the onboard before rebooting ehen the new card is not installed.

G

Ok, first off, you can't disable the primary video card while in windows. You HAVE to have at least one video card working for the computer to function and give output to the monitor. The proper step is to shutdown the computer, put in the new video card, start the computer. At this point your bios will either recognize it and automatically use the new card or it will default to the onboard video. Normally will default to onboard thus you leave monitor hooked to that. If so, you will see the boot up screen giving option to enter bios setup. Usually hitting delete will get you in... some bios have different methods tho and should look in user manual. NOW, you go into bios, change settings to use PCIe video instead of Onboard, Save and exit. Now can plug monitor into PCIe video card. Once in windows, go to device manager and disable the onboard video so you don't get conflicts with it's drivers. Alternatively, I like to do a clean wipe of the HD and re-install op sys once in a great while..... usually when upgrading hardware.. oh, you will also need to rund the driver install utility for your new vid card