New build won't boot

hillian

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
My new build won't boot. It won't even POST. It hang's on a black screen with a fast blinking cursor. There is power to the board since I can see the fans spin up, leds turn on etc. I can also acces the UEFI-boot-menu. Since I can see that I think I can rule out problems with the videocard. To be certain I retested with an different card, a X1300XT and sure enough the problem stayed.
In the boot-menu I can test the memory, this indicated that there was no problem with the memory. After that I concluded the problem should be with the motherboard. I returned it the the store and they have tested it and say it works perfectly. So now I have to pay for testingcosts since there was no problem with the board. I can now return my processor for testing but according to the store DOA's with processors are rare and testing it will cost me money. Does anyone recognise these problems and know what to do?

New Parts:
Intel Core i5 2500K
MSI P67A-C45 (b3)
Geil 4 GB DDR3 BLACK DRAGON DUAL CHANNEL (GB34GB1333C7DC)

Old parts, no fault in them, all work perfectly in old build:
OCS 700W ModXStream-Pro
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 2,5" 120 GB
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
This could be many things but it seems like your mother board can't see your hard drive or your CD ROM to install the OS. It appears that you can access your BIOS. Make sure that your CD ROM and HDD is dectect by your MB and have the correct settings.

hillian

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

When I'm in the BIOS I can see all my drives, USB, DVD and HDD. It won't boot from any of them...

Scane777

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

So what did you do??

My buddy and I just built a similar computer for him last night and we have the same problem.

Any help appreciated!

hillian

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
There seems to be two problems which both can cause this problem.
Firstly I repaired the system with simply updating the bios of the motherboard to the most recent version. After that the system worked.
I little while later the system didn't want to boot again. After much searching and removing and adding hardware again that problem was much simpler; just some external USB hard-drive which caused the system to hang. Once I removed it the system booted without a problem and I can acces the disk when I only connect it after booting.
Hope this takes care of your problem!