New PSU - PC won't boot

Hey all,

I recent invested in a new PSU to give me more juice for overclocking. The PSU in question is the Thermaltake ToughPower TX 875W (The second, improved edition.)

My other components are:

i7 950
GTX 570
6GB Mushkin DDR3 RAM
P6X58D-E Mobo

I removed my old PSU and installed the new TT one, double and triple checked the cables were correctly placed

24 pin Mobo
8 pin CPU power
both 6pin PCI-e.
HDD, DVD Rom additional case fans.

When I turned the PC on, all fans would begin spinning, GPU fan powers up. All fans powered from Mobo headers power up too. I get the POST beep and then the computer continues in that state for 10-15secs then I get another beep as if the PC has restarted.

I checked the cables again with no luck. reinstalled my old PSU and no luck either.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about boot
  1. Sounds like you popped something pulling out the old PSU, likely got an ESD in a bad place. I suggest you go thru the standard troubleshooting drill, pull everything off the board except the cpu and power it up, should get a pattern of beeps complaining theres no ram. put in one stick at a time doing a boot up in between...rinse repeat, just step through all the bits till you find one that wont let it boot to next level

Dead
  2. Oh man. Oh man, oh man, oh man.

I cannot forgive myself for this.

I removed all the cables from the back and my monitor changed it's source because it didn't detect anything on the end of the VGA cable.

I spent 2 hours diagnosing a problem that didn't exist.

Sorry for wasting your time, guys. Thanks for the response though :D.

Cheers,

Dan
  3. Glad you figured it out. If anything you got a valuable lesson. If you ever encounter a similar problem again, you know what to check first!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems