Sign in with
Your question

New PSU - PC won't boot

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2011 4:18:53 PM

Hey all,

I recent invested in a new PSU to give me more juice for overclocking. The PSU in question is the Thermaltake ToughPower TX 875W (The second, improved edition.)

My other components are:

i7 950
GTX 570
6GB Mushkin DDR3 RAM
P6X58D-E Mobo

I removed my old PSU and installed the new TT one, double and triple checked the cables were correctly placed

24 pin Mobo
8 pin CPU power
both 6pin PCI-e.
HDD, DVD Rom additional case fans.

When I turned the PC on, all fans would begin spinning, GPU fan powers up. All fans powered from Mobo headers power up too. I get the POST beep and then the computer continues in that state for 10-15secs then I get another beep as if the PC has restarted.

I checked the cables again with no luck. reinstalled my old PSU and no luck either.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

More about : psu boot

a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2011 3:37:01 AM

Sounds like you popped something pulling out the old PSU, likely got an ESD in a bad place. I suggest you go thru the standard troubleshooting drill, pull everything off the board except the cpu and power it up, should get a pattern of beeps complaining theres no ram. put in one stick at a time doing a boot up in between...rinse repeat, just step through all the bits till you find one that wont let it boot to next level

Dead
April 7, 2011 4:39:53 PM

Oh man. Oh man, oh man, oh man.

I cannot forgive myself for this.

I removed all the cables from the back and my monitor changed it's source because it didn't detect anything on the end of the VGA cable.

I spent 2 hours diagnosing a problem that didn't exist.

Sorry for wasting your time, guys. Thanks for the response though :D .

Cheers,

Dan
April 9, 2011 8:00:16 PM

Glad you figured it out. If anything you got a valuable lesson. If you ever encounter a similar problem again, you know what to check first!
!