Computer kills Video Cards

alkara

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
My computer is not able to have a video card at all so I am forced to use the on board. the problem is anytime a new video card is placed into the PCI-E slot it either dies instantly or works for a few minutes then dies. I've had 5 video cards all die in a row and I even took the computer to the repairshop and they tested their cards which all died as well. It came to a point that they shipped my mobo back to the manufacturer who tested it and it came back as nothing wrong. The repairman tested the power supply and said its fine other than some 5v rail was dropping in and out and he has no idea as to why this would be happening and I really wanted a new video card..

Computer Stats that I know off hand.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
4 gigs of ram
Power supply is an old 600 watt Enermax Noisetaker

anyone ever come across something like this where video cards just die within minutes because something is wrong with the computer???

Most power supply testers only check the voltage, not the ripple which is much more likely to kill a component. If your PSU is old, and if it has any issues that show up on a tester at all i would suggest replacing it with a new good unit to rule that out as a source of issue.

alkara

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
How hard is it for me to personally replace the power supply myself? I dont have much experience with that but I know how to put in memory, video cards and such but i've never dealt with the power supply before.

if your not familiar with it, make sure you note where all the power connectors are. draw a diagram so you plug them all back in properly and dont miss anything. Make sure the replacement power supply is suitable for the new video card and of good quality, Brands like like Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, Silverstone are good.

alkara

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

I decided to purchase the Antec TP-650 which is on sale right now for 89. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021&Tpk=tp-650

good choice. you should be able to power nearly any single graphics card with that (except maybe the new dual gpu unit from nvidia). Antec are well known for top quality and having the lowest ripple/noise across their range, according to many hardware review sites.

Enermax is a good brand and they very rarely have issues. I once ran a 8800gtx off a 6 year old 450w noisetaker that I regret selling but it was rock solid.

I would personally replace both to rid of the this issue altogether as the cost of fried cards is more than a new psu and board.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Man you take simple and blow it out of proportion, unscrew and unplug everything SIMPLE!

If you think that is not simple then you have some serious IQ problems.