Your question

Hi guys, RAM....? please help

Last response: in Memory
March 13, 2012 8:02:05 PM

hi guys,
how are you?
Please advise...
I have a G41m-es2h motherboard and I'm looking at buying this RAM
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G
It is said the memory runs at 2.2-2.3V

Do you think my motherboard will support this RAM?
Do you think my motherboard will run stable with this RAM at these voltages?
Do you think this RAM can run at 1.8V stable in my motherboard? or is that impossible?

Currently I have 1 stick of 2GB Crucial RAM PC2-5300 (667mhz) running at 1.8V

Thank you so much,
Best wishes,
Michael.

More about : guys ram

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2012 8:23:30 PM

If the RAM says it runs at 2.2v, I don't think there's much of a chance that it will work at 1.8v. Reducing the voltage will cause potential instability, and a huge swing like 2.2 -> 1.8 will probably just render the system unbootable until you change it back.

Your motherboard probably supports voltages higher than 1.8v, despite what the documentation would seem to suggest. To get to voltage controls on my Gigabyte board (P35C-DS3R, yeah, my hardware is that old) I go into Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker in the BIOS settings. If you can find a 2.2v setting in there, you are probably fine.

Still, I'd recommend getting memory that's operating at the standard DDR2 voltage, 1.8v.
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:30:32 PM

hi again,
Thank you so much for a quick reply.

Yes, there are settings for higher voltages in bios, they go as high as 2.5V
where 2.3V, 2.4V, and 2.5V are in red and anything below 2.3V is in lighter color than red.

(Can't find any RAM that's 800mhz and 1.8V at discounted price. : o(.
This kingston i'm getting at $25 for the 4gb.)

Thank you so much again.
Best wishes,
Michael.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2012 8:35:50 PM

You'll probably be fine then. I'm not confident enough to say for sure you won't have issues, but I really don't think you'll run into any problems.
m
l
!