Sign in with
Your question

Intel I series Motherboards, futureproof?

Last response: in CPUs
July 8, 2011 11:37:10 PM

Hey guys i was just curious about the intel I series motherboards, and was wondering if they will be futureproof, because they only support 3 processors I3, I5, I7. But when i look at AMD Motherboards it's like they release all sorts of different processors for AM3+ all the time like there new Bulldozer line that is about to come out. Not a fanboy of AMD or anything i would just like to know what's up so i know what i should buy for my next Rig.
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2011 11:47:16 PM

According to most sources Intel might have a possible forward compatible option with the current cpus.The SB line that is.What i am talking about is Ivy Bridge, however these are more than not rumors for intel has not commented on this at all.

AMD just has more compatibility possibly cuz they want to increase market share(something along this line).

Both are great and with bulldozer coming you might as well just wait it out.I myself want AMD to fall but i am not here to spread fanboism.SO my advice is to wait it out.
m
l
July 9, 2011 12:28:47 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
According to most sources Intel might have a possible forward compatible option with the current cpus.The SB line that is.What i am talking about is Ivy Bridge, however these are more than not rumors for intel has not commented on this at all.

AMD just has more compatibility possibly cuz they want to increase market share(something along this line).

Both are great and with bulldozer coming you might as well just wait it out.I myself want AMD to fall but i am not here to spread fanboism.SO my advice is to wait it out.

HaHa ok thanks for the advice, it jsut seems like i would be saving A LOT of money in the long run going with an AM3+ MOBO
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 7:43:25 AM

You would only be potentially saving money *if* AMD releases Bulldozer successors that are compatible on the same AM3+ mainboards, which seems unlikely given DDR4, Thunderbolt, etc., on the horizon.

Intel- socket 7, Slot1, socket 370, socket 423, socket 478, LGA775, socket 1366, socket 1156, 1155

AMD- socket 7, SLot A, socket A, socket 939, socket 754, socket 940, socket AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+

Count the assorted sockets (desktop, not counting server MBs) available since 1996 carefully; none of the mainboards really has much of a future beyond 2-3 years from it's release, at most.

Since AMD X4's currently needs about a 800-1000 MHz lead to even match performance from from stock clocked i5-2500k models, I'm not sure AMD has been doing anyone a favor by sticking with the same basic MB design for 3-4 years...
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 8:47:40 AM

I consider 2~3years a good return on technology for most of us, i mean by the time of 2 years or 3years most likely we would have saved money to buy newer tech.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 9:37:12 AM

Quote:
why would you want AMD to fall, without AMD there the consumer processor market prices will rise dramatically, intel will become the next microsoft :o 

Personal reasonS.Anyway I am saving some money for one of those 1000usd cpus which holds the SB arch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2011 10:44:28 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Personal reasonS.Anyway I am saving some money for one of those 1000usd cpus which holds the SB arch.

Well the only reason i could imagine you to have personally to want the down fall of AMD is that you hold a large amount of Intel shares, otherwise your completely mad sir, as already pointed out, if AMD falls that leaves intel to do as they please and charge what they want to us the personal user, it would also slow down the technological development process as far as CPUs are concerned in the domestic market, as why should intel develop progressively better CPUs for us if it is the only one that has a CPU, as surely CPU progression at the moment is driven by wanting to be the current market leader, but if your the only one in the race then there is no race at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 11:02:40 AM

Uther39 said:
Well the only reason i could imagine you to have personally to want the down fall of AMD is that you hold a large amount of Intel shares, otherwise your completely mad sir, as already pointed out, if AMD falls that leaves intel to do as they please and charge what they want to us the personal user, it would also slow down the technological development process as far as CPUs are concerned in the domestic market, as why should intel develop progressively better CPUs for us if it is the only one that has a CPU, as surely CPU progression at the moment is driven by wanting to be the current market leader, but if your the only one in the race then there is no race at all.

My hatred for AMD is just that.
I hope you guys dont take these things personally.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2011 11:09:25 AM

Hatred is a waisted emotion which blinds us to the facts and disables us from being able to think and therefore perform logicaly,

Of all human emotions, hate is the only one that accomplishes nothing but destruction.

There are many sources of information on the internet, and some commentaries from newspaper editors and writers tend to become "colored" by the emotion of hate. Written editorials need to be rational and not biased, and facts must be presented as plainly as possible, giving the reader due freedom to make his own conclusions.

Writers need to be responsible for the facts that they present. Investigative reporters do that, journalists are required to do it for CREDIBILITY. One cannot write effectively if there are questions all over the place left unanswered. That would be just a maze
of emotions, of HATE.

Hate is the ugliest human emotion I have ever encountered. It is full of force, but is is usually BLIND. It is also deaf. Hate cannot hear the other side of the argument because its ears are full of the burning smoke of unbridled anger.

Hate also causes mental disorientation.
A person so filled with it in his brain, has no room for logic to set in.
He gets irrational and sometimes delusional, thinking only of WINNING, of HIS views, and of HIS world.

A person consumed by hate will do everything and at all costs to give vent to his emotions, and rant and rave
in a rage out of proportion to the situation at hand. It is the most uncontrollable emotion of man.

Notice that a person filled with hate rarely accomplishes his purpose in life. He gets so preoccupied with destruction, he never sees the hope and the promise of a better tomorrow. He has none of those.

Hate equals self-destruction. That fact is proven and has always been the
course of life. It breeds animosity in families and communities, and can destroy a nation. There is no need for its reason, nor honor, it just needs to destroy.

Sadly, it is usually the person who hates whose life gets destroyed. It is like a corrosive substance, an acid, that eats up everything it comes in contact with. It is such a strong emotion, one can "feel" it even without actual presence from its source.

The most devastating effect of hate is that it causes advanced AGING. It will increase the blood pressure, upset the stomach, result in sleep loss or sleep disturbance, and yes, it causes a lot of wrinkles. Hate is useless because the object of the hate is not affected by it, nor does he suffer from it. The hater does.

Hate is the cause of many wars, of many divorces, of many abuses, and of many deaths. It has caused mankind a lot of pain, why not get rid of it and make it extinct?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 11:15:32 AM

Uther39 said:
Hatred is a waisted emotion which blinds us to the facts and disables us from being able to think and therefore perform logicaly,

Of all human emotions, hate is the only one that accomplishes nothing but destruction.

There are many sources of information on the internet, and some commentaries from newspaper editors and writers tend to become "colored" by the emotion of hate. Written editorials need to be rational and not biased, and facts must be presented as plainly as possible, giving the reader due freedom to make his own conclusions.

Writers need to be responsible for the facts that they present. Investigative reporters do that, journalists are required to do it for CREDIBILITY. One cannot write effectively if there are questions all over the place left unanswered. That would be just a maze
of emotions, of HATE.

Hate is the ugliest human emotion I have ever encountered. It is full of force, but is is usually BLIND. It is also deaf. Hate cannot hear the other side of the argument because its ears are full of the burning smoke of unbridled anger.

Hate also causes mental disorientation.
A person so filled with it in his brain, has no room for logic to set in.
He gets irrational and sometimes delusional, thinking only of WINNING, of HIS views, and of HIS world.

A person consumed by hate will do everything and at all costs to give vent to his emotions, and rant and rave
in a rage out of proportion to the situation at hand. It is the most uncontrollable emotion of man.

Notice that a person filled with hate rarely accomplishes his purpose in life. He gets so preoccupied with destruction, he never sees the hope and the promise of a better tomorrow. He has none of those.

Hate equals self-destruction. That fact is proven and has always been the
course of life. It breeds animosity in families and communities, and can destroy a nation. There is no need for its reason, nor honor, it just needs to destroy.

Sadly, it is usually the person who hates whose life gets destroyed. It is like a corrosive substance, an acid, that eats up everything it comes in contact with. It is such a strong emotion, one can "feel" it even without actual presence from its source.

The most devastating effect of hate is that it causes advanced AGING. It will increase the blood pressure, upset the stomach, result in sleep loss or sleep disturbance, and yes, it causes a lot of wrinkles. Hate is useless because the object of the hate is not affected by it, nor does he suffer from it. The hater does.

Hate is the cause of many wars, of many divorces, of many abuses, and of many deaths. It has caused mankind a lot of pain, why not get rid of it and make it extinct?

Thanks for the advice and i know with you being older than me your advice is worth gold.I will think about it.
m
l
July 9, 2011 5:20:15 PM

mdd1963 said:
You would only be potentially saving money *if* AMD releases Bulldozer successors that are compatible on the same AM3+ mainboards, which seems unlikely given DDR4, Thunderbolt, etc., on the horizon.

Intel- socket 7, Slot1, socket 370, socket 423, socket 478, LGA775, socket 1366, socket 1156, 1155

AMD- socket 7, SLot A, socket A, socket 939, socket 754, socket 940, socket AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+

Count the assorted sockets (desktop, not counting server MBs) available since 1996 carefully; none of the mainboards really has much of a future beyond 2-3 years from it's release, at most.

Since AMD X4's currently needs about a 800-1000 MHz lead to even match performance from from stock clocked i5-2500k models, I'm not sure AMD has been doing anyone a favor by sticking with the same basic MB design for 3-4 years...

So is it just a better idea to wait for DDR4 to come out and just wait for all the new hardware to come out THEN build a new computer? Because i remember near the end of DDR1 and IDE MOBO I bought a gaming computer that used DDR1 and IDE hardware and it was crap in 2 years........
m
l
!