Help for a newbie

cibafan

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Looking for help with a video card selection.
Thanks to help from Tom's forum i built a pc, now there is a video card question. I would like to be able to download and play movies networked to a media player, and as a photographer I use photoshop to process rather large images.

I am running a amd 2 quad 4, a 955, on a gigabyte, gama785-us2h, mother board. using the inboard video card presently. the power supply is a 600 watt ultra and the monitor is a hd dell at 1680x1050. I am going to move to win 7 64 bit and 8gigs of memory from 4.
your advice would be gratly appreciated.

yeah I was looking at that too when consider options for the op, really for a lot cheaper why not just try to grab a 4850/70 or gts 250 on ebay on the cheap, maybe even as low as 50-60 dollars for the 4850/70 if you can find a good auction, that would equal or more power for gaming, ample video playback ability for about half the price of the gts 450 and significantly cheaper and much more powerful than the gt 240, but if you want brand new i think the gts 450 and gt 240 will be good options, get the gts 450 if gaming is a little more important maybe than you indicated in the top post.

at that level of performance I would rather not even have dx11 bogging down the limited throughput of that level of card anyway, but thats just my opinion. I've owned a 5770 and I thought that even was barley enough to handle dx11 (maybe not as it is currently, but when it is more heavily used in the future), just some thoughts

but then again I guess if video editing is your perogative you should stick to nvidia, I say the gts 450 is probably the most logical decision for a new buy if not go for a secondhand 9800gtx, 8800gtx, gts 250, 8800gt, or 9800gt

personally im not sure I would even mess with the gt440, but if you have no gaming intents then this could be an option