Sign in with
Your question

Advice/review needed

Last response: in Systems
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2011 8:40:02 PM

Hi community, I'm planning to purchase a gaming laptop and I just wanted to run my specs by to make sure that I'm not going over the board with one thing, while bottlenecking with another.

Keep in mind this is for a laptop system.

Approximate Purchase Date: May, 2011

Budget Range: ~$2k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: origin pc / maingear.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences:

case: Clevo 151HM
MB: not sure as they aren't listed on the website
CPU: Intel i7-2720QM, 6Mb Cache
GPU: nVidia GTX 460M, 1.5Gb total graphics
RAM: Kingston 8Gb DDR3 @ 1600 (2X4Gb)
HDD: 750Gb 7200 Rpm SATA 300

everything else is standard that flies along with the case.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
I want to keep this laptop at around 15" so it maintains some portability (I don't want a 50lbs laptop). If unknown motherboard is an issue I think I can find out what they plan to use from each company. I'm hoping this will be able to last me about 4 years or so, till I settle down and can switch to a desktop.
My main concern is that I don't go overboard with graphics card and then end up running at partial capacity because of insufficient CPU/RAM/etc

Thanks in advance

More about : advice review needed

April 6, 2011 9:13:56 PM

In a laptop more than any other environment you really should look at a SSD. They’re going to get you the reliability, performance and better battery life then a HDD. While we have released a very nice Intel® SSD 320 SATA II in sizes up to 600GB for a gaming system you might want to take a look at the Intel SSD 510 SATA III (6Gbit) in 120GB and 250GB. Then pick up a nice USB 3.0 external HDD if you need more space.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2011 8:09:58 PM

Thanks for the advice, but the SSD you recommend cost a ton of money compared to a traditional hdd. I'm not too concerned with battery life and I doubt I will be using heavy HDD applications while on the road/battery power.

One question I'd ask is what is reliability of regular HDD as they increase in size vs SSDs as those increase in size?
m
l
!