Closed

Laptop or netbook???

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Netbooks
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2011 10:10:51 PM

So im looking to start up a small part time business out of my home. This is just for extra cash and some fun mostly. But if it ended up growing to th epoing were I could make it my only form of income I wouldent be mad. My question is I need something that I can use to keep track of finances (quick books) and help with a possible website (Dreamweaver?) I want something that I can use for document prep and short term storage that I can then back up elsewere. Would I be able to find a net book that is good to run dream weaver and quick boks as well as possibly other low end stuff like invoice/logo creation software or do you think I should go for a small laptop? Also what is the best mobile processor out without going full on core i3/i5?

More about : laptop netbook

April 7, 2011 4:49:01 AM

cburke82 said:
So im looking to start up a small part time business out of my home. This is just for extra cash and some fun mostly. But if it ended up growing to th epoing were I could make it my only form of income I wouldent be mad. My question is I need something that I can use to keep track of finances (quick books) and help with a possible website (Dreamweaver?) I want something that I can use for document prep and short term storage that I can then back up elsewere. Would I be able to find a net book that is good to run dream weaver and quick boks as well as possibly other low end stuff like invoice/logo creation software or do you think I should go for a small laptop? Also what is the best mobile processor out without going full on core i3/i5?

For your needs, I'd suggest looking at some of the newer laptops coming out with the AMD APU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-llano-apu-zacate-b...

It sounds like a regular netbook would be a little anemic plus they are not great for typing. They make good internet appliances and are very portable but lack in many features and definitely in horsepower.

Maybe an ultraportable in the 12-14 inch size might be suitable for you. That size is very appealing from battery life and portability standpoint, however they are pricier than the smaller netbooks and the 15.4 inch budget models.

Your needs are simple, you want something affordable to be a workhorse and get the job done. It doesn't sound like mobility is number one in priority. I'd say if not too worried about battery life and taking it on the road focus on a machine with a nice screen and ergonomically comfortable. A 15 inch would be affordable and cost effective. Unfortunately, cheap screens and keyboards/touchpads are often where manufacturers will cut costs to sell a cheap laptop. This is a working machine so you'll want to be comfortable working with it and not getting frustrated because of the lousy touchpad.

After researching I think you'll find that choosing the right laptop is a lot of give and take. Focus on what is top priority and narrow it down from there. I recommend you visit www.pcworld.com and check their many laptop reviews to narrow your search.
Score
February 7, 2012 8:16:05 AM

:pfff:  Why? This thread is almost a year old. :pfff: 
Score
February 10, 2012 10:39:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!