• CD-Rom
  • Wireless Adapter
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 10:27:34 PM

Hi I bought this wireless adapter for my windows xp 32 bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However, using the CD that came with it to install it wont detect any networks. I was told to use ralink so i downloaded the (RT256x/RT266x) file and it still wont work. I was wondering what else i can do or what the problem is.

Thanks

More about : wireless adapter problem

a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 10:34:24 PM

Your link is broken. Can you fix it? Then we can help you out.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 10:48:59 PM

rwpritchett said:
Your link is broken. Can you fix it? Then we can help you out.

fixed :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 10:58:35 PM

OK, it looks like you have the correct driver and I assume you have it installed correctly (the antenna is attached, right?? :lol:  )

Are you using Ralink's connection software or the Windows built-in wireless connection utility?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 11:06:16 PM

rwpritchett said:
OK, it looks like you have the correct driver and I assume you have it installed correctly (the antenna is attached, right?? :lol:  )

Are you using Ralink's connection software or the Windows built-in wireless connection utility?

they antenna is connected. However, when i click on network adapters under hardware devices, i dont see the adapter. Also i think i chose zero connection.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 11:09:40 PM

Zero configuration is the Windows utility, so you're good there.

If the wireless card isn't showing up in device manager, then either the driver is not installed properly or the card is not seated properly. Maybe try a different PCI slot?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2011 11:32:16 PM

rwpritchett said:
Zero configuration is the Windows utility, so you're good there.

If the wireless card isn't showing up in device manager, then either the driver is not installed properly or the card is not seated properly. Maybe try a different PCI slot?

hmm. i switched to another PCI slot but its still not showing. With my other wireless adapter, under device manager > network adapters, there were 2 things: Linksys and Realtek.. Now it only shows Realtek. I think i put the card in correctly, but it still wont show. what else can i do? :cry: 

edit: also, does it matter if i download the (RT256x/RT266x) on to a USB and install it that way or do i need to download the file directly to the computer i want the wireless adapter on?
m
l