Best Video Card Available Today for Dell Dimension 8250?

portman226

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hello,
I am looking to upgrade a graphic card for my dell dimension 8250 comp. so that I can buy a newer monitor,currently I have tried a 19" flat screen but I don't think I have the resolution to make the monitor run properly(all the text is fuzzy. my current card is a nvidia geforce mx 420
Thanks

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I have a Dell 8300 p4 @3.0 ht and I have the agp 4650 1gb card from Gigabyte. Works great but is not a gammer setup. If I remember correctly use the drivers on the disk, not others (online) as they will mess up. Read the instructions and see if that has changed, this was an issuse because of the AGP port. I do use the 8300 for surfing, light gaming, MS office programs, and it can drive an additional moniter or tv.

Mac

portman226

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Thanks for the response, I looked at the Newegg.com site and noticed that there are a few cards to choose from. I am not sure if the clock speed is a concern or not but I think I'll consider the 512mb card. Btw would a 1gb card
allow me to get a higher resolution monitor?

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Look at the reviews of the different cards. Try to find some that reflect your usage and expectations. The only issue with memory is if you have a 32 bit operating system is you have a limit of approx 3.5 ram. t I think more ram in the computer is a better advantage for your experience than more ram in the video card. If you give us all your specs, processor, ram, power supply, operating sys ect. We can make a better determination.

mac

portman226

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I have a pentium 4 2.40 ghz processor, 250w power supply, windows XP,
currently 256mb ram and will be adding an additional 512mb that I just received. I have an nvidia geforce mx420 graphic card
running a 21" dell cathode ray aperture monitor and would like to upgrade to
an Lcd flat screen but I am having problems getting the higher resolution required for a 19" flat screen monitor.

Thanks

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Ok i think your power supply needs to be addressed. I believe the 4650 calls for 400 watt power supply. I also have heard that because it is a AGP card it uses much lesspower than a pci card?. I know that there are people out there running them on less than 400 watts but there are also others that have lots of problems because of their power supplies. PC Power and Cooling offer dell uprgrade power supplies. The link is for my 8300 look to see if yours is different.

http://www.pcpower.com/Dell/Dimension/Dimension-8300.html

Second is ram I have 2.5 gb of ram in mine. I think that the 512 board will do you fine. Investing in more ram for the pc might be better bang for the buck than a 1gb video card.

So If you do go for it use the instructions that come with the board including where to install the drivers from. I would upgrade the power supply. If you don't upgrade the power supply be aware that problems with other components may also occur when you add the new card. Stick with the 512mb card unless the 1gb card is the same price

good luck
mac

portman226

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Since my last reply i have increased my ram to 768 mb
up from 256mb. I will look into the cost of a power supply upgrade.I don't want to start adding to much money into this system due to its age. Yet
I am not ready to purchase a new system either. However, I have to do something so that I can get a more current monitor to function properly
for my cad work.

Thanks again you have been helpful.

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
ok. Thanks do look into a new build. I just built a i7-950 with a 460 card and am loving it. Will retire the other computer to the kids after cleaning and upgrading to Win 7 32. I tend to use my computers for many years so my p-4 had been doing me well after graphic card, memory and power supply upgrades (still using the crt).
Good luck and may be spend a little more time looking into the cad program you are going to use.. There maybe information out there that will lead you toward more video mem, more system mem, or saving for the next build. Remember from where you are now even a core 2 or a nice amd system will give you huge improvements over your existing system can do.

Mac

portman226

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Thank you for all your responses to my concerns.

Tony