Sign in with
Your question

Asrock 990fx fatality dimm A1 & A2 problem

Last response: in Motherboards
March 14, 2012 4:11:43 AM

Hello,
I ran my asrock 990fx fatality with dual channel memory (A2 & B2-1st priority) before and its running fine [RAM 4G x 2 G-Skills-1600]

Then I installed a water cooling set up and boot my computer back. I noticed in the bios that although it detects RAM at dimm A2 & B2 its running in Single channel not like before.

I switch to another dual channel (A1 & B1) & boot back. Bios showed 2-dimm slot working but still in Single Channel only.

Then I tested running one dimm slot alone at a time.

A1 - no boot
A2 - no boot

B1 - boots OK
B2 - boots OK

running two dimms side by side (same banks) at time.

A1 & A2 - no boot

B1 & B2 - boots OK with 8G memory

So my question is
the dimms slots A1 & A2 is damaged?

and why does the bios and even my W-vista detects that there is memory there (on dual config only) but show its just single channel

Best regards to all
June 17, 2012 4:36:44 AM

gotta install like this _ empty X Populated slot

A1 A2 B1 B2
X _ X _

OR

_ X _ X

X = Dimm Installed in slot

im having the same problem but with Kingston 1866 2 X 4GB dual channel kits ( total og 8gb - 4 x 2GB dimms

when i have all 4 matching dimms in all slots i dont get any boot/post at all

only one pair works

both memory sets work and in each pattern like above i showed you but when all 4 are installed @1866 Cas 11 i dont get any post at all

my memory is Kingston 1866 DDR3 Cas 11 ( KHX1866C11D3P1K2/4G ) BOTH SETS ARE THE SAME BUT INSTALLING 4 DIMMS DOESNOT WORK DOES NOT BOOT OR POST AT ALL... ONLY WHEN TWO DIMMS ARE INSTALLED????

THATS MY PROBLEM, ALL THE NEW AMD 900 CHIPSET BASED MAINBOARDS ARE JUNK IN MY OPINION!!!!!! :( 
m
l
August 30, 2013 4:42:42 PM

STOP HERE AND READ!!! Its 99% of the time because of a bent pin.I have a Asrock z77 extreme4. Wouldn't detect my RAM in slot A_1 and A_2. I have crosshair vengeance 1600 8gb(x2), ballistic 1600 4gb xlb(x2), and g.skill 1333 8gb(x2). NONE of which would work in the a1 and a2 slot, but the B_1 and B_2 slots worked fine. I googled it and googled it over and over again and found most people said that it "could be" the speed set, which is mostly set to 1600 and would need to tune in down in the bios to 1333. "In theory" NO one said that it actually worked. People stated that they have their pc set to that (1333) and aren't having any issues. But once again no one stated that their pc wasn't working and "then" changed it to 1333 to resolve the issue. I read that it could be a bent pin so I googled it. Heres what I got and what motivated me to stop being a pansy and actually check it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA when I stopped being lazy I took off my cpu. .. and to my surprise there WERE bent pins!!!!!!!! So I fixed them. Now I have 4 yes 4 slots of ram that is crammed with 8gb each at 1600 mhz... So once again get off your buttocks get something to ground yourself and open the case and take the dang cpu off and make sure the pins AREN'T bent before you do ANYTHING else. I wish someone had posted this for me. lol
m
l
!