Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Core i5 2500k idle temp is high

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
July 9, 2011 10:39:14 AM

i`m having a problem in idle temp and load temp in this cpu it is high

idle in 45c to 50c
load at 76c to 79c

im sure that i instill the cpu fan correctly but i don`t know what is wrong with this temp


im using the stock fan

will up grade later on

More about : core 2500k idle temp high

a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 11:36:15 AM

Yes, those are a little warm, but you are using a rather basic heatsink / fan.

I suggest you make the upgrade to a better cooler a priority :) 
July 9, 2011 4:33:33 PM

are you sure this temp are good ? :o  my old core 2 duo e4300 don`t go this high

and will do upgrade fast this temp is high :( 

can you tell me how good is Asetek 570LC or cooler master v6gt or Hyper 212 Plus

for me i want to use asetek 570lc i want silent and small heatsink
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 9, 2011 8:22:53 PM

Those temperatures are way too high. With the stock heatsink my idle temps go as low as 26c but usually stay about 29c and only go up to about 60c under load. Are you sure you have the heatsink properly installed? What are your BIOS temps, what's the room temp, and what kind of case do you have?
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 8:56:44 PM

morrise001 said:
Those temperatures are way too high. With the stock heatsink my idle temps go as low as 26c but usually stay about 29c and only go up to about 60c under load. Are you sure you have the heatsink properly installed? What are your BIOS temps, what's the room temp, and what kind of case do you have?


How can you relate YOUR cpu temps to HIS cpu temps. There is no relation unless you have the exact same components, in the exact same case, with the exact same fans in a room with the exact same temperature.

If your home is 72f and his home is 80f, the temps are going to be drastically different, even if you have the same components in the same case with the same airflow.

Without knowing what the ambient room temps is, there's no way you can say those temps are high, low, or if it's a problem with his fan.

July 9, 2011 9:21:56 PM

one thing you could do if you have installed it correctly is take it out and clean both the heat sink and chip then apply 70% or higher alcohol to it wait to evaporate and wipe with a non- fiber cloth that might help a hell of a lot brought mine from 45 to 32C
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 9:46:03 PM

How would taking the chip out and wiping it with alcohol lower your temps? LOL
July 9, 2011 10:01:41 PM

mainly because he said that he installed the cooler himself there could of been dirt on the cpu which can give an imperfect connection plus doing this purifies the chip for a better connection plus cooler temps
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2011 10:39:41 PM

disaster101 said:
mainly because he said that he installed the cooler himself there could of been dirt on the cpu which can give an imperfect connection plus doing this purifies the chip for a better connection plus cooler temps


Usually when you take a cpu out of the box, it's dirt free.

You only use alcohol on a chip to remove thermal paste, and you use 91% Isopropyl, not 70%. 70% is 30% water. You failed to mention that he would need to go buy thermal paste and apply it to the heatsink after doing this.


July 9, 2011 10:58:06 PM

fair point i should of mentioned that but yes 70% or more. 30% is water but still works or i wouldn't of said and with the chip its not always clean and even if it is there is no harm in cleaning/cleansing it before putting it in plus with the standard heat sinks they have the paste already them if hes left it out dust can catch on it so could be another reason but back to the cleaning i said about you can buy arctic silver 5 set with paste remover and purifier that does the trick
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2011 12:33:16 AM

all this purifier, remover etc is all just who cares about 0.5ºc of unproven difference

those high temps could be because of a silent or low set PWM fan speed to keep the system quiet and are not fatal temps, could also be from poor ventilation or wrong case fan directions (rear -> out, pannel -> in, front -> in, top -> out)

also could be from most but not all intel hsf push pins being installed correctly
July 10, 2011 10:50:25 AM

i have haf X with all the fan it come with on my gpu is msi 560gt ti twin frozer he have lower temp then my cpu in idle >.>no i think there is some thing wrong gpu should have higher temp in idle then cpu in idle
even in load gpu is cooler then cpu o.O
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2011 1:16:58 PM

Of course we still don't know what this mystery cpu is.........

I have a feeling the heatsink is not installed properly or maybe you left the plastic on the bottom of the heatsink?
July 10, 2011 2:10:42 PM

o.O plastic dah i think i forgot that xD
July 10, 2011 2:54:08 PM

hmm strange no plastic >.> now i need to replace thermal paste but i dont have and i cant find in my place T_T
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2011 3:16:02 PM

Use 91% alcohol to removed thermal paste from cpu and hsf.

Re-apply following directions on plastic.'

I recommend tx2 or tx3. Arctic silver 5 is decent.

Are you sure all 4 pins were locked ? If you don't hear them snap in, there not in right.

July 10, 2011 4:05:12 PM

ok will do

about the 4 pins yes they locked in place

i can`t find any thermal paste in my town this is very very bad day and it is to expensive to order it from out side it is better to upgrade the heatsink then ordering thermal paste T_T

a b à CPUs
July 10, 2011 5:06:43 PM

Where do you live? Theres not a computer store?
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2011 5:40:38 PM

the same thing was happening to my i5-2500k but then i realized when I had changed my ram from auto to 1600, it had caused the cpu to stay at 3.7ghz causing my idle temperatures to be around yours. Download CPU-Z, in the core speed box does it say your cpu is at 3.7ghz or 1.6ghz when it is in idle?
CPUZ: www.cpuid.com

Here is my thread with the solution if it is stuck at 3.7ghz like mine was,
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304819-28-2500k-stuck...
July 10, 2011 6:44:43 PM

Quote:
Where do you live? Theres not a computer store?


I live in Saudi Arabia there is computer store but none of them have thermal p
Quote:
aste

the same thing was happening to my i5-2500k but then i realized when I had changed my ram from auto to 1600, it had caused the cpu to stay at 3.7ghz causing my idle temperatures to be around yours. Download CPU-Z, in the core speed box does it say your cpu is at 3.7ghz or 1.6ghz when it is in idle? 
CPUZ: www.cpuid.com
 

Here is my thread with the solution if it is stuck at 3.7ghz like mine was, 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] -frequency

No it wasn't stuck at 3.7
July 10, 2011 7:01:46 PM

Well obviously these CPUs are not designed for warmer climates. Got one guy complaining about SB CPU temps on a Pakistani forum as well. The standard advice in these cases is to check that the HSF is correctly installed. If there is no problem there then you should look at the bios options for cpu fan speed. Disable CPU fan control in the bios and the CPU Fan will run at full speed. IF none of these ideas work you will just have to buy another heatsink. The hyper 212+ gets lots of good reviews.
July 10, 2011 7:22:34 PM

abdussamad said:
Well obviously these CPUs are not designed for warmer climates. Got one guy complaining about SB CPU temps on a Pakistani forum as well. The standard advice in these cases is to check that the HSF is correctly installed. If there is no problem there then you should look at the bios options for cpu fan speed. Disable CPU fan control in the bios and the CPU Fan will run at full speed. IF none of these ideas work you will just have to buy another heatsink. The hyper 212+ gets lots of good reviews.


I'm sure it did fit will on the CPU

I think you are right about the warm climate >.> when I turn on the air conditions the CPU temp go to 35c idle load is 69c but still I can't turn air conditions 24h
and I can't believe my msi 560gtx to twin frozer idle and load temp lower then my CPU! XD

I think I will buy new heatsink