Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a pc SLOWLY what to buy first, what to buy last?

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2011 12:39:43 AM

I'm going to be purchasing various PC parts between now and around early June. Most likely, I'll be assembling the PC in mid June. I want to buy some parts in April, some parts in May, and some in June, to kindof space out my expenditures. Which stuff should definitely be bought last, and which stuff should definitely be bought first?

Here are the items I'll be needing:

i5 2500k ---------------- Currently $197 at Microcenter, was $187 last week.
motherboard that supports i5 2500k - probably entry level version of Asus P8P67 or something like that---------$150 ish
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ------------------- $80 ish (on sale)
GTX 560 Ti--------------------------------------- $240 ish
Power Supply ------- looking for a low cost one that will do the job, with no needs for power a future upgrade-----$65 ish
Case------------------- same thing as power supply, looking for low cost that will work for this build only-------------$65 ish
HDD --------------------- looking for inexpensive HDD that will do what I need it to for a year or so, then go SSD---- $65 ish
Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler---------------------------------------- $30 ish
Windows 7 64-bit OEM version for system builders----------------- I guess the price of this never changes $100 or so

Best solution

April 7, 2011 1:04:50 AM

Why not just save until you have enough to buy all at once? It's gonna kill you having a bunch of parts lying around that you can't do anything with until June.

As for what order you should buy in, if you do space it out, I'd start with a case and psu. Don't skimp on the psu, its one of the most important components. I'd save the processor for last because prices might decline later in the year....
April 7, 2011 1:35:34 AM

The video card will get cheaper the longer you wait but the other prices will probably stay the same.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2011 2:11:37 AM

I have heard that motherboard prices are going to go up in May due to events in Japan.
m
l
April 7, 2011 2:32:09 AM

If the BD release looks threatening Intel will probably slash prices of SB to cut AMD off at the knees....
m
l
April 7, 2011 2:52:07 AM

Best answer selected by LarryJones1.
m
l
April 7, 2011 2:55:15 AM

majin ssj eric said:
Don't skimp on the psu, its one of the most important components

Here's the thing about the PSU though... I just need it to do exactly what I'm doing with THIS build specifically. Upgrades are not to be considered whatsoever. So, I just need a reliable PSU that can power up the rig, with the specific parts I'm going with. I need to find some kind of deal, where something has a rebate or something.
m
l
!