GA-Z68MX system not able to boot without dedicated gfx

wuhtzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Hi everyone

I have a system based on a Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3974#ov) motherboard and a Core i7 2600K CPU. The problem is that I cannot make the system boot unless my dedicated graphics card is inserted into the pci-e x16 socket. The motherboard is based on the Z68 chipset which allows for the use of both dedicated gfx and the Sandy Bridge build in GPU.

I just wanted to measure the power consumption without my Nvidia GTX470. So I opened up my case, unplugged my GFX and booted up my system. Everything went well in the beginning. It successfully loaded my OS and I began locating my prime95 but then it suddenly rebooted. This load the OS and spontaneous reboot rutine went on 3-5 times. After that I want able to boot at all. Power would come on (fans jerking, mobo LEDs lighting) and then turn off again. This power on, off, on, off cycle would just continue forever. Then I could plug the GTX470 back in, boot and load the OS again successfully. Then I could unplug it again and it would be back in the power on/off cycle. I have tried everything, all combinations of bios settings, resetting cmos and so on.

What the *u** is going on? The system worked without the gfx for serveral boots / OS loads. Then all of the sudden it does not.

Any suggestions as to what I can try to do and/or why this is happening?

Best regards
Wuhtzu

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Beats me, man.

Possibly the temperature in the CPU rises too much ? Can you check that in BIOS for a minute or so, see if the temperature is level? Or you can't get into BIOS either ?

Good luck.

wuhtzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I can't even get into the bios. It just switches power on for (like) 0.5 second and then powers of again. And even if I could monitor the cpu temp it would blow my mind that the cpu temp was related to the insertion/removal of the dedicated graphics card.

But thanks for your reply :)

Lordgene

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
What you need to do is plug in the dedicated graphics card, boot to bios, change the VGA from PCI To Onboard. Power down and Then take out the dedicated graphisc card. This should be able to boot up the system on the on board graphics card. If this doesn't work then you have a defective board to where you need to use the dedicated graphics card to boot up the system.

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I didn't suggest that because the computer worked for a while with integrated video but then it suddenly stopped, so I guessed it had nothing to do with the bios settings.

The integrated video card is related to CPU in i7/i5/i3 as it has a part dedicated to video so that could be something too.

Try plugging some headphones into the green jack at the back and see if the BIOS REPORTER says anything upon boot but I doubt that.

Lordgene

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I understand that the CPU has a part dedicated to video but his VGA port has its own video card built into the motherboard. They made it for people who want to run a system without a PCI-E video card (Which I would not understand why but some businesses do use the Onboard video card)

That VGA port is not going to his CPU. It has its own unit on the board which is why it is called Onboard video card.