How future proof is the Socket 2011's?

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hello all, im looking at the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, very much now, i am wanting to buid a maching that's going to last a few years at least.
But reading, most people say that it's socket 1155 that's more future proof than the 2011. Is this for the "near" future or years?
Thanks all

CDdude55

Distinguished
Nothing stays on top for very long in the world of technology. So i think you should worry mainly about what you need the system to do. I wouldn't go over to socket 2011 if you're just playing games, but if you're doing other resource intensive things then i'd consider it.

Ivy Bridge is coming out soon along with the new Z77 chipset, but ivy bridge is still supported with current 1155 boards(with a possbile a BIOS update). So if you're really concerened with the future then i'd probably wait a bit and pick up a Z77 board or a good Z68 board for Ivy Bridge.

Ive heard about a ''Ivy Bridge-E" for socket 2011 (X79) boards that apparently they should come out near the end of this year. But again, if you always want to wait for the latest thing, you'll never be able to settle anywhere. That's just how it works with tech, in litteraly a few months as Ivy Bridge is out you'll start hearing news on their newest chips in the making.

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
2011 is by far more futureproof. It has a few more generations to go down the road, where as the last gen for 1155 is coming out in april with Ivy Bridge.

Haswell = Next year sometime
2011 = IB-E (end of year or next 2013) then done which is suspected
1155= IB (2012 March/April) then done

Imo, go for IB and wait for haswell next year or something.

Ask yourself a few things before going 2011.
-Are you running sli xfire trifire etc. If so this might be the way for you.
-Whats your budget? If its modest 2011 is not for you.
-Purpose of build? If just browsing/gaming/etc then just go for a SB or IB. 2011 is more for extreme gaming builds/rendering/benchmarking/high performance tasks. If your not doing any of these then its a waste of $$$$$ unless you just want to be "that" guy who goes big.

My 2 cents. IMO if your on SB already it won't be much of an upgrade to IB as far as enthusiats / ocing goes (results show that ocing will not be nearly as high with IB). If IB does end up being that much better then SB I will bite my tongue but so far numbers have shown it somewhat of a minor upgrade over SB, and you'll have to pay for it to.

IB also is already competeting with 2011 at stock speeds. Which is scary. I would link the artcle but its on another forum and I don't want to breed competition.

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
At the moment i'm mainly just gaming, but im looking to get another 2 monitors in the near/ish future. My budget is about £500 a month for the next few months. All i really need is mobo and CPU, my 580 and ram are both as good as they come at the moment and my Lian Li case just arrived so that's sitting awaiting some handy work :p

Hello.

+1 to most of these except one thing.
Haswell will be 1150 socket. That means "Ivybridge will be the last station 1155 socket train will stop".
IB benchies from anandtech's ivy sample. Like previous generations did, IB will beat extreme editions of previous generation (SB-E) in gaming. Nothing less expected from Intel bashing with 22nm.

Like you said since you want gaming, wait 1-2 months and then go with Ivy.
But if you are patient enough, Haswell will bring new architecture changes there are already some 12-core cpu reports (probably xeon) which it might mean that we will see 10-12 core extreme and 8 core mainstream cpus.

Actually if he wants HT, 2011 differs from 1155 for just for few bucks.
Intel Core i7-3820 vs Intel Core i7-2600K = +$5 to 1155
RAM: the same both 16GB: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
And Mobos: MSI X79A-GD45 LGA 2011 which cost $249 is an example that isnt that far from a mobo of the same company that uses feautures like triple SLI and XFIRE for 1155.

I agree with @Hotthree, although IMO Intel is going to be dragging their feet since AMD botched their FX CPU line and the 'heat is off' so the 2 year/2 year TIC-TOCK is bye-bye.

Frankly, I'd like to see Intel cool their jets a tad and focus on reliability than constant new lines, new chipsets and new CPUs. There's been too many screw-ups lately (B2, disabled cores, C2/Vt-d). For the vast majority SB/SB-E/IB/IB-E is way overkill.

If all you're doing is gaming then IMO stick with the forthcoming IB/LGA 1155 unless you're looking for 3/4-WAY SLI with the forthcoming nVidia GTX 600 series i.e. 3/4-WAY GTX 680 (2GB/3GBvRAM) on multiple monitors.

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
i think ill hang a few months untill asus release another ROG motherboard, buy that straight off the line and the best CPU when it comes out at some point in the next few months. Ill have enough to buy all the other hardware that i'm after at that point as well :)

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Memnarchon- Sorry for the confusion. I know hawell is a new chip/socket. Thats what I was trying to say when I said "1155= IB (2012 March/April) then done".

To OP - Get IB which comes out this week or i5 2500k. Would be your best bet.

I agree with Jaquith and I hope AMD gets back into the game which I know they will do. Intel won this time but I love competition so Im sure piledriver will be a good cpu (i hope)

Its ok I mostly cause confusions :p.
I hope too for a good cpu from AMD. So we can see some prices fall from intel too. I mostly use intel and the sandybridge were a great addition to the cpus but for 18 months i5 2500k has the same price :??: .
So lets see the piledriver to be competitive not with ivybridge but at least with sandybridge. Then we will have a good price war!