Sign in with
Your question

Palit GTX 580 3gig worthwhile?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2011 6:25:37 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've been looking around at upgrading my card, been using an Asus 4870x2 for a little over 2 years now. I'm looking at something with a custom cooler to run quieter and afford a bit of overclocking if/when I choose to do so. I like the looks of this card, for the most part, but I've only seen 1 review on the 1.5gig version, with none on this one as it is very new. What kind of experiences have people had with Palit? I like the full size HDMI outlet, and having 3gigs is supposed to be great for large displays (I play on a 46" LED TV). I like the looks of the Gainward card, as well, but as far as I can tell it is only available in EU. I've been debating between a 6970 and a 580 for over a month now, but I'm a bit tired of waiting for custom coolers for the 6970, and the 580s are more powerful anyways, right? It would be my first Nvidia card, I think that's the main apprehension that I have. I'm mainly just looking for a little input here, seeing if there are horror stories and that Palit should be avoided or something, or if someone has a hot tip on where to pick up a Gainward 3gig 580 here in the US (although not from your cousin's buddy's friend's "uncle's" van in a parking lot lol) Thanks!
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 6:29:43 AM

darknexus said:
3gigs is supposed to be great for large displays (I play on a 46" LED TV).

Woah need to clear something up right there. It is great for playing on large resolutions. It is needed to play games at resolutions like 7680x1600. You are only playing on a TV which is probably 1080p (1920x1080), or even 720p (1280×720). Large screen size does not always equate to a large resolution size.

That said, it is probably overkill for your resolution, if it is 1920x1080.
February 2, 2011 6:51:40 AM

Helltech said:
Woah need to clear something up right there. It is great for playing on large resolutions. It is needed to play games at resolutions like 7680x1600. You are only playing on a TV which is probably 1080p (1920x1080), or even 720p (1280×720). Large screen size does not always equate to a large resolution size.

That said, it is probably overkill for your resolution, if it is 1920x1080.

Ahh!! TYVM! That is exactly the kind of thing I came here looking for! I must have either misunderstood/misread that where I saw it originally, or the information was incorrect. Awesome, good stuff! Yeah, mine is 1920x1080. Ok, so a reg 580 with a good custom cooler would be fine for me then, or if I can hold out until they make a good one for the 6970... I'm too impatient lol :)  Any ideas when we might be seeing one for them? Looking around, I see a lot of "typically 1 month after release of reference card" but it's been over a month now... I wish Asus would come out with one already, I've been quite happy with my 4870x2 thus far.
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 6:54:44 AM

Yeah that was something else I was going to ask, Nvidia Features and DX11 aside, the 4870x2 2gb is still in the top ten video cards around. Is there some reason you want to upgrade it?
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 6:59:43 AM

Honestly, I'd hold off. I recently upgraded my HD4870x2 to an EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked (my 4870x2 cooked itself - I wouldn't have upgraded if my card hadn't fried), and honestly, there isn't that much of a difference (and I'm running at 2560x1600). It's a bit smoother at high settings with lots of AA in some games, but the difference certainly isn't big enough to bother right now (and the same is true of pretty much any card on the market, in my opinion). If your 4870x2 is working, I'd say just don't mess with it. It's an excellent card, and it can still compete with the best of them.
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:04:13 AM

That is what I was thinking as well CJL, unless you are doing it becuase you absolutely MUST have Phsyx or DX11, I would hold off.
February 2, 2011 7:07:44 AM

Helltech said:
Yeah that was something else I was going to ask, Nvidia Features and DX11 aside, the 4870x2 2gb is still in the top ten video cards around. Is there some reason you want to upgrade it?

I mainly play WoW, and that only utilizes 1 GPU (according to TH's cataclysm graphics card guide thing), so dual GPU cards and crossfire/SLI setups are useless, and I'm essentially running WoW on a single 4870. I do play SC2 some, but I get a bit too frustrated by cheesy BS to play much (just waiting to stroke out sometime, what a way to go lol). My card works reasonably well for raiding, but in open world environments, and especially around water, I lose a lot of framerate and it hangs a bit. I love being able to run on max settings and hate to give that up, but when I'm doing archaeology or dailies, fishing, etc. I kinda need something a bit stronger. It wasn't bad on my old 32" screen, but I've noticed the difference when I switched to the 46".
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:12:27 AM

What resolution was your 32?

(Honestly, a single 4870 would be fine for 1080p WoW, so I doubt that your 4870x2 is holding you back at all)
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:18:13 AM

Was your old screen 720p? I know WoW doesn't play NICELY with CF/SLI but it does still benefit from it, it is not usless. And you don't even have a CF setup. Even if you had one 4870 WoW should still run very nicely.

What processor do you have? Have you updated to the latest Catalyst Drivers?
February 2, 2011 7:21:19 AM

cjl said:
What resolution was your 32?

(Honestly, a single 4870 would be fine for 1080p WoW, so I doubt that your 4870x2 is holding you back at all)

That one was a 1360x768. I doubt that I'm being bottlenecked elsewhere, CPU is a i7 965 EE overclocked to 4.25GHz, 12 gigs ddr3 ram, solid state drive. You say that a single 4870 would be fine for 1080p WoW, but at max settings? I'd like to be able to maintain ~60fps or better at all times, including when I'm flying near water, which is when I experience the majority of my low fps problems.
February 2, 2011 7:24:16 AM

Helltech said:
Was your old screen 720p? I know WoW doesn't play NICELY with CF/SLI but it does still benefit from it, it is not usless. And you don't even have a CF setup. Even if you had one 4870 WoW should still run very nicely.

What processor do you have? Have you updated to the latest Catalyst Drivers?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...
Shows no benefit from multiple GPUs, whether on the same card or in CF/SLI setup

Drivers are up to date. This is something I've always experienced to some degree, it's just gotten slightly worse since upgrading my screen and since Cata's improved water effects were implemented.
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:25:04 AM

darknexus said:
That one was a 1360x768. I doubt that I'm being bottlenecked elsewhere, CPU is a i7 965 EE overclocked to 4.25GHz, 12 gigs ddr3 ram, solid state drive. You say that a single 4870 would be fine for 1080p WoW, but at max settings? I'd like to be able to maintain ~60fps or better at all times, including when I'm flying near water, which is when I experience the majority of my low fps problems.

Yeah man you should be fine, a 4870 is a bit more powerful than my normal GTX 260, and I ran max settings fine at an even HIGHER resolution (1920x1200). It wasn't great in 25-mans though.

darknexus said:
Shows no benefit from multiple GPUs, whether on the same card or in CF/SLI setup

Drivers are up to date. This is something I've always experienced to some degree, it's just gotten slightly worse since upgrading my screen.

I'll check link, but I can tell you from personal experience, 25 mans were nearly unplayable for me before I got my second GTX 260 (well not nearly unplayable, but when your raiding slight graphics lag can be dangerous), so going SLI DID help me, to some degree.
a c 176 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 9:59:23 AM

I think Toms did another review of Caty and with the newest drivers from AMD and Nvidia there are multi GPU gains. I thought they updated the original review. The gains aren't as good as other games, but they are there.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 12:08:34 PM

Answering the main question, you will never need 3GB of memory even at 2560x1600.

The purpose of the 3GB version is for Nvidia 3D surround, which is like AMD's Eyefinity, yet only 3D. You would have three displays at very high resolutions.

Even for Eyefinity, AMD claimed that a single 2GB card can do six monitors; I know this sounds, incorrect or not possible but I didn't make this statement, I got it from AMD.

SO 3GB is useless unless you are setting up NVIDIA's 3 3D monitor thing.

MY personal recommendation is two 6850s in Crossfire, $180 each.

So no, 3GB GTX 580 is a no go.

A 4870x2 is still a very viable card for 2011, so if you didn't fry yours, you wouldn't need to upgrade but since you did, whatever, the GTX 580 is the best single GPU out now, it'll last long.
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 12:29:12 PM

there's no advantage for 3 gigs ram at your resolution, and really a 58 0is overkill for WoW anyway, heck i played in ultra with a gts 450 at 1920x1080 with 60 fps , only dropped in pvp/raids and now with sli gts 450's which is not quite a gtx 470 and its ultra at 75fps contant

note i also play on a tv 37"

only advantage of dxll will be some water effects but its up to you if a little water effects and a few texture effects are worth the added cost for a 580 vs 4870
February 2, 2011 12:59:00 PM

Quote:
A 4870x2 is still a very viable card for 2011, so if you didn't fry yours, you wouldn't need to upgrade but since you did, whatever, the GTX 580 is the best single GPU out now, it'll last long.

Not sure when I stated or even implied that I fried mine, lol, but I assure you it still runs well :D 
I think it was well established after the first reply that 3G was overkill, thanks to everyone for making sure that this was clear to me.
As for TH giving Cata another go, please link it to me, I must have missed it and I'd love to check it out.
I'd like to avoid a CF/SLI setup, in all honesty. I'm leaning heavily towards either a 580 or a 6970, aftermarket cooler either way. I'd like to see the gains of DX11 and a more consistent high end framerate. Mine works, currently, but I've got to have some kind of project to work on, getting bored on my days off of work and archaeology is about finished for me (only 1 pet left to get, damn you Tol Vir sites!)
I guess the question which remains is summed up like this: "Anyone have any dirt on when aftermarket coolers are going to be released for the 6970?" I am a big Asus fan, but from what I've read, EVGA is quality too. So if either were to release a solid 6970 or 580 with aftermarket cooling, I'd prob jump on it.
Just an aside, but... I dislike the idea of a mini-HDMI output. Is this just me being finicky? The full size HDMI output was part of the reason I jumped on the Palit in the first place. I'm not a fan of having to use more adapters. I guess I haven't looked around that much as far as cables, monitors, and TVs go, but is this becoming the standard? It seems to be as far as outputs go for cards. lol dunno if anyone can point me to an article I might have missed on the subject or if everyone has just accepted it, it was just something I thought of as I was finishing this. Thanks!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 1:39:47 PM

oh, lol I confused with cjl's statement, I thought it was yours lol
February 3, 2011 12:02:44 AM

g00fysmiley said:

there's the tom's cata writeup

That's the same one which I had linked earlier. I was led to believe that they had made another go at it and had seen gains from multiple GPU cards, CF, and SLI, but upon rereading the article yet again, the closest statement to that was "Nvidia claims SLI should function normally, but the settings we were told enable proper scaling did little to improve performance." on the high end Nvidia card page. Was there actually another round of testing that Tom's did for Cata or is this the only one? The whole "only utilizes 1 GPU" thing probably explains why I had always noticed that the first GPU of my card typically ran ~12-15C higher than the second, seeing as only the first one had a load on it :) 
a c 176 U Graphics card
February 3, 2011 12:47:08 AM

I'm the one that said that, and of course I can't find the article. It came out after the big review, possibly in a review of a card with newer drivers? Might not have been on toms, I read anand and Hard as well.
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2011 11:29:05 AM

i do run sli gts 450'sa and i can say you will get frame rat increases, btu they won't be scaling in the 80-90%, from what i cna tell xfire and sli are wishy washy between specific cards but you usually see 60-80% gains, i''m close to 80% as i used to gt only 30-40 fps in raids/dungeons and pvp and now am hitting my monitor refresh rate most the time with 60 fps
!