AMD Phenom II X6 1090T vs Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz

ferretface

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
im trying to put together a new computer and am curious about these 2 processors, they are similarly priced but according to some many sites the intel i5 is faster

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

i5 is 4th on the list here and the amd is 9th, is there a reason i shouldnt get the i5? my friend insists the amd is the better choice because the i5 is outdated, even though according to most sites it has higher benchmarks and is faster its "outdated" are there other computer parts that i would need to get with the i5 that would make it a better choice to get the 1090T? any info is appreciated, thanks.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Steer away from building an AMD box for the moment because Bulldozer is quite literally right around the corner. Once Dozer is out, expect to see a significant price drop on the Thubans and Phenom II x4 kit, since AMD will want to clear out vender channels of old stock. That will make some very good bargains even if Bulldozer isn't the solid competition for Intel that we are hoping for.

If Bulldozer is all that it is said to be, then expect Intel to drop price on kit to try and stay in the game. Either way, right now, unless you absolutely have to build a new computer, if you can hold off a couple more months, you might end up with a couple hundred dollars in your pocket, or at least a couple hundred dollars more value in your build.

ferretface

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

hmmm, you didnt really answer my main question, is the i5 i listed better than the amd i listed? and is there any limitations to getting that i5 processor in terms of ram i can get or other things?