Adobe suite GPU

dredsilver

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
First off, posting this in video cards because I figured it would get more relevant thread users. If it should have been posted in software, my apologies.

I've recently come into possession of a build that was never bought from a family member, so I decided to use it for my dedicated "work" box: video, photo, and audio recording.
I'll be mostly using products from Adobe's family (production package).

My reason for posting is in regards to GPU choice for such purposes. I only have a 4350 and GeF210 laying around and need to know whether I'm kosher with one of those, or if I'll see significant enough performance improvement with a higher end GPU, and if so, which.

My understanding is that nVidia+CUDA is highly compatible with Adobe products, so I'd probably ask for an nVidia recommendation accordingly.
Sorry if this sounds lazy or "noobish," but I generally only gear my video card purchases towards gaming usage, and I have no idea where to start for such productivity purposes.

Thanks all for tips/help!

EDIT: Also, workstation card vs desktop card (I might in the future use this box as backup casual gamer--nothing hardcore/crazy)???

Helltech

Distinguished
What is your budget? Yes I would suggest a Nvidia card as well. The Geforce GT 210 (if that is what it is), isn't a horrble card and would be alright for what you need. The 4350 is slightly more powerful than the GT 210, but not when it comes to Adobe's suite.

dredsilver

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Yea, that'll definitely float casual gaming for a while, ha.
And thanks for the response! Couple other random forum sites seem to have similar responses for similar needs. I'll likely have to "unlock" some dormant ability to be compatible with mercury playback engine, however. But, hey, all for better performance :D

thanks again.

Helltech

Distinguished
I know what you mean, you are limited to what graphic cards can get MPE right away.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/search_result.html?manuSearchVar=1&modelSearchVar=0&supportSearchVar=0&brand=NVIDIA&dataFormat=&version=CS5&device=graphic&format=

I know there are hacks(plugins even?) to get support for other cards.

My opion, ask on the Adobe forums if you can get MPE working with that card before you buy it.