BAD MEMORY?

erin5657

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hello. I have been having many problems with my new computer. I have been getting many BSOD's that have been saying different things.
Example: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_POOL_HEADER, Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area, Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal.

I decided to try a reinstall of windows 7. That did not work. Tried 4 times. The first 3 times it would get about half way loading windows files and go to bsod. Last time I tried it got stuck at 43% for almost 2 hours, so i shut it down and called again. They said it was probably either bad memory or a faulty hd. They told me to test my memory with memtest (which i am testing one stick at this very moment). I has only ran on pass so far, and I am not exactly sure what I am looking at , but next to pass 1 is errors and it says 1324032. My question is, Is that really the number of errors on this stick? Or does that number mean something else?
Should I even keep running it on this stick for a full 7 passes as I have read, or go ahead and switch out the sticks to check the next one? Thank you in advance for any help provided.

windows 7 hp x64
Intel I7 2600k 3.40GHZ 8mb LGA 1155
2TB SataIII 6gb/s 7200rpm 64mb cache 3.5" HD
2- 4gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz ddr3
nvidia gtx560 2gb
xtremegear 700 watt powersupply
gigabyte z68ma-d2h-b3 intel z68 crossfire ddrs sata 3

Once you get any errors on Memtest then it's pointless to 'collect' any more so stop the test. The simplest thing to do is to try to boot off Memtest with (1) stick at a time to find out if it's a RAM issue or a MOBO's DIMM issue.

Before testing, Clear CMOS (jumper method) and allow the PSU do discharge 5~10 minutes after being unplugged to allow any stored charge to dissipate. See the right way -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Try (1) stick as follows:
CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | blank | ; and
CPU: | 4GB | blank | blank | blank |

Normally, the RAM is installed:
CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB | ; or
CPU: | 4GB | blank | 4GB | blank |

erin5657

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I did what you said and followed the video about clearing the CMOS. and I moved the stick to the first slot. But when I turn on my computer it just beeps at me over and over and then shuts off for a few seconds and then comes back on, beeps etc...

Which Beep pattern?

1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

erin5657

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Okay fixed it. I did not have my memory in good enough. ( I am a Dummy) Anyway continuing what I was doing moved the same stick that was giving me the errors to the first slot and running memtest now. I have only been running it about 3 minutes and says 113456 errors. so should i even continue or just move on to my second stick?

Then it's clear Stick #1 is bad. Problem, it's best to RMA both sticks as a set. Therefore, three options:
1. Buy new RAM
2. RMA RAM ; downtime 7~10 days
3. RMA but request a 'Cross Ship' if possible. Your credit card will be charged in-full and credited once the OEM receives the product from you (undamaged); so box it well.

Most all RAM carries a lifetime warranty. You'll have to pay for shipping it to the OEM.

erin5657

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I had already contacted the people who built my computer yesterday and they went ahead and put an RMA in for me just in case because they knew was either RAM or I was going to have to send in my whole computer. They sent me a return shipping label this morning in my email. So that was nice. I am going to call them and tell them it is the RAM. So I should request 2 sticks of the same I had then is that correct? So there are no problems? Sorry for all the questions. I am not very computer savvy and this is the first time I have had any computer problems like this ever.