Crossfire Lockup

Garfield2010

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hi guys

I have 2 x 4890 ATI cards running in crossfire. My PC has been locking up (freezing) ever since and I have already done the following:-

(note that it is totally random. I can play anything from 20 minutes to 10 hours without it happening)

-- I have installed water cooling on my CPU (temp now gets to 40 degrees MAX)

-- Case is open with one huge fan next to it on the 2 cards (ones temp is around 68 degrees and the other one around 55)

-- 1.000 Watts power suplly installed (coolemaster silent pro)

I have a P7P55 asus motherboard.

I was wondering.... should I adjust the voltage/RAM settings in the bios manually? Apparently when left on Auto they can overheat since the MB pciks up the cross fire?

WHen my PC hangs the game stops 5 five - 10 seconds and the the dreaded memory dump blue screen.

I have the newest drivers etc and have tried a *** load of other stuff to correct the problem including a new install.

I have windows 7 64 bit with 8 gig ram and both cards works perfectly seperately.

When you installed your RAM did you go into the BIOS and set the RAM voltage and latency timings to their rated values, You can find these values on a sticker on the side of each RAM module.
If your running an overclock on your CPU or RAM then make sure its completely stable by running atleast 8 hours of blend mode on Prime95.

Are those temps you listed for the GPU's load temps or idle temps?

Do you notice any artifacts when gaming?

And have you overclocked your HD4890's?

Garfield2010

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hi there

No I have not overclocked my cards. The temps are while playing games.

No, I have never cahnged any thing in my bios before. Was wondering if It will help since I have tried everything else.

"artfacts?" You mean colours and stripes? Yes normally the 5 seconds before everything hangs.....

Alright well I'd highly recommend you find out the voltage value and latency timings and then go into the BIOS and make those changes, incorrect values for volatge and latency timings can cause instability.

If your still getting issue's after correcting the RAM values then the next step I'd advice would be to test each card on its own and see if which card (if any) you get the issue with.

Garfield2010

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hi there
I could not find any figures in the RAM so I do not know what to set them to. I dont even know were in the BIOS I am supposed to do that. Do you have a suggestion. Both cards run perfectly fine on its own without any issues

Garfield2010

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
DDR3 1333 Desktop memory module

.Specification: 240-pin DDR3 un-buffered DIMM
.Configuration: 128Mx8 / 256Mx8
.Bandwidth: 10.6GB/sec
.Voltage: JEDEC standard 1.5V, approximately 17% less power consumption compared to 1.8V of DDR2
.CL: 9
.Capacity : 1GB / 2GB / 4GB
.Single/Dual/Triple Channel ready

Its certainlt worth a try, I know I've had instability/freezing issue's due to incorrect RAM settings.

if that doesn't fix the issue then I'd recommend you test each HD4890 on its own to make sure both cards work fine.