Looking to upgrade video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I currently have an ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO card. I have a Dell Inspirion 530 computer. I need to upgrade the card because I play WoW and the one I have now is currently listed as the base minimum for game play.

I found this card on Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-161-309&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

I originally wanted the XFX card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448

but as you can see it is "deactivated". When I originally looked at it 5 days ago, it was "out of stock" with an expected date of 02/01/2011, but since has gone to deactivated status. Makes me a little sad but if the HIS is as good, I am willing to spend an extra $5 and still win hopefully.

Any other suggestions card-wise are welcome as well at this point.

Thanks!

Solution
TigerDirect is a good reliable company but newegg.com always has better prices and deals.I always buy from newegg.I would strongly reccomend going with the 5770 instead of the 5750.It is well worth the money.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help on your PSU issue.

Also if your reading the power requirements for the graphics card it is a gross overestimate.They usally overstate the actual power useage of the card from 50-100 watts.

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
My current PSU is the stock that came with the computer 350w. It does have a 6-pin connector, which I was told is ok for the card. I was also told I shouldn't need a new PSU for this if it had that connector.

However if you feel I absolutely have to have it in order to make the card work, please send recommendations.

1440x900

$150-$200 for both card and PSU. I was only planning on the card so I really don't have much for the PSU.

You might be right.Since Dell makes quality PSU's you might not have to upgrade it.
Plz list everything you have in your ocmputer so i can add it up to see how much watts are going to acutally be used to see if it's safe or not.DVD driver/hard drive/CPU/stuff like that.

I was checking some charts and depending on what devies you are using the maximum load usage for a 5770 is around 100 watts and around 86 for a 5750.So i think you might even be able to get the 5770.
With that being said i would really reccomend this card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490&cm_re=5770-_-14-127-490-_-Product

Comes factory O.C. and has lots of room for more if you wanted to.Very fast and at 1400x900 you should have no problems maxing out any games you want.

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

OK lemme see if I can find out what you need to know...

From Device Manager:

DVD drive: Optiarc DVD+RW AD-7200S ATA Device
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device
CPU: Intel Core(2)Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHZ
Not sure if you need it but Memory : 2GB
Windows Vista 32-bit

Please let me know if any of this info looks wrong. I just went to my device manager for the DVD drivers and to System Information for the CPU information.

Yah you should be fine.Should have around 20-50watts to spare.So you could upgrade some more RAM if you needed to.

You are all clear to go with the 5770 if you want.

If you can spare $30 more you can double your performance with a 6850 and get a new PSU.Good combo deals going on right now.I would say go for it but if all you play is WoW i wouldn't think you would need it,but it is futureproof.

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Yea all I do pretty much is WoW and web surfing/email. I am on the computer a lot (like 6 hours a day) because I am disabled and stay at home so if just WoW and browsing, etc a LOT makes any difference LOL!

Really though, I would like to stick with the 5750 or maybe 5770. I could probably swing the cost of that and a PSU.

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Oh wow..it's an even better deal that I first noticed! It's actually only $214.98 after MIR. Sweet!

Now I just gotta talk my son into it :)

Thanks so much! Please do keep searching for me , however as I have a feeling it is gonna be hard to talk him into. he just blew $850.00 on a system for himself. :)

Oh...are you sure the PSU will fit in my case? I cannot seem to find info on this so maybe you know?

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Ok this is taking measurements on the outside of the case:

6 3/4 x 14 3/4 inches. Did I do that right? Or do I need to somehow remove the side of the case and measure?

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

OK hope I did this right this time. It was kinda hard getting the tape measure in there and reading it. The PSU that is in there now is:

5 3/4 x 5 3/4 x about 3 1/2

Depth-wise there is no more room.

Height-wise no more room because there is a fan, not sure what it is to maybe the motherboard? Again, I don't know about this stuff that much so... but there is about 1/2 inch of space between that and the PSU.

Length-wise there is a good bit of space between the PSU and I believe the DVD+RW drive? I measured about 8 inches between the end of the drive and the end of the case itself.

I apologize if any of this sounds off, as I said I really don't know too much about this stuff. I really appreciate your help :)

Hmm,i can't find any that will fit.
Technicly speaking if the Dell power supply can deliever the wattage it says it can then it should have no problem running a 6850.
Total system power draw for a 6850 is around 250watts.And thats with a beefy "test" system with a i7 super computer.The actual wattage usage should be a lot lower with your computer.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1445/17/

If you wanna get the 6850 you will need to buy a molex adapter(4pin to 6pin).
I would really rather some more opinions on that method.Technically in the numbers it should work but their are always variables and i would want to be absoultley sure.On the safer side a 5770 should work no problem.

What does the chart read on the back of your PSU(what is the combined wattage for the 12v rail?

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I'm kinda starting to wonder if I should just stick with the original plan and just get the 5750 card from Tigerdirect and let that be it. Maybe I don't need to upgrade the PSU right now. I can do it later when I don't feel so pressured that if I don't do something about the video card and keep playing WoW with it as is, my system will burn up.

I think as long as my PSU can deal with the 5750 requirements for the mean time, I will just do that. But I am definately keeping the PSU issue in my mind for the near future.

I was told that Tigerdirect for small purchases isn't that bad of a place. I had heard before that they were awful as far as pretty much all ends of the business. But that was a while ago so maybe they have changed. They do have the card I was wanting in stock, albeit at a slightly higher price. What is your opinion of them?

TigerDirect is a good reliable company but newegg.com always has better prices and deals.I always buy from newegg.I would strongly reccomend going with the 5770 instead of the 5750.It is well worth the money.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help on your PSU issue.

Also if your reading the power requirements for the graphics card it is a gross overestimate.They usally overstate the actual power useage of the card from 50-100 watts.

Solution

Duchess

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Ok. And you believe my PSU I have now will be fine with this for a little while? Oh and that it will fit in my case?

I have to wait til maybe tomorrow because my tax refund isn't in my bank yet. Supposed to be deposited 02/03 so hopefully this will still be there then ..

sartorius

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
A 5750 should be more than enough for WoW. The one you originally posted is an excellent deal.

Here's a cheap HD 6850 if you still plan on buying one. Though to be honest, the 5750 will do you just fine for WoW.

I could understand wanting to play stuff like Crysis or Metro 2033 with a 6850, but if WoW is the only game you'll be playing I wouldn't waste the money.

If you go with the 5750 you wouldn't even need to upgrade your PSU, really. Judging from your current parts your system altogether would only use a bit under 300 watts.

If you want to disregard that and get a new PSU anyway, here's a good Antec NEO Eco 400 watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.