Case cables don't match MoBo Header

skylarkin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hi all,

I just got my new build and am trying to put it together. All going well till I try to hook the case front panel cables to the mobo.

I have the Lian-Li PC-7FNWX and ASRock Fatal1ty.

I have a 3 pin Power LED, the Header on the board only has 2 pins (2 pins wide aswell) for the Power LED.

Has anyone else had this issue and anyone know how to sort it?

Thanks
Denis

Solution
This is becoming a common problem.

Here's what you can do:
If you look at the the 3 pin socket, you see the one side probably has a label - something like "PWR LED". One side has a white wire, and one side has a colored wire - usually green. Look at the back side. Where the pins go, you should see three small tabs as part of the socket. You should see the pins in two of these.

With a tiny jeweler's screw driver, carefully pry up the tab holding the green wire connector in the socket. You should now be able to slip the wire and pin out. Once it is out, slide it into the middle hole.

The white wire goes onto the "-" pin on the motherboard. Green lead goes on the "+" pin. The now empty end pin hangs over the edge of the motherboard...
This is becoming a common problem.

Here's what you can do:
If you look at the the 3 pin socket, you see the one side probably has a label - something like "PWR LED". One side has a white wire, and one side has a colored wire - usually green. Look at the back side. Where the pins go, you should see three small tabs as part of the socket. You should see the pins in two of these.

With a tiny jeweler's screw driver, carefully pry up the tab holding the green wire connector in the socket. You should now be able to slip the wire and pin out. Once it is out, slide it into the middle hole.

The white wire goes onto the "-" pin on the motherboard. Green lead goes on the "+" pin. The now empty end pin hangs over the edge of the motherboard header.

Or, because your case has an LED fan in the front, leave the power LED disconnected and use the LED fan as a power indicator.

Solution