What Monitor should I purchase?

citystreet

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I am in the process of building a PC and I am unsure of which monitor I should purchase. I'm thinking of a 24" widescreen, but I do not know which brand is reliable.
I was also told I should get a LED monitor, but I think an LCD monitor should be fine

What do you think?

My mother board is ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 with an Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
The graphics card is a Radeon HD 5850.
I like first person shooters and edit pictures and video.

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
An LED monitor is an LCD monitor, it just uses LED's for back lighting as opposed to fluorescent. Maybe you're thinking of OLED monitors, which are still very new and hence prohibitively expensive. The LED back lights seem to have some advantages in that panels can be made thinner and colors are extra-vibrant. They are still mainly found in TV's, but a few monitors employ them.

If you are serious about photo and video editing, then I'm afraid you'll have to spend a good chunk of cash. If it's a hobby then the previous posters suggestion will probably be fine for your needs. Here are some recommendations for monitors that are quasi-professional when it comes to color reproduction:

HP LP2475w Black 24" 6 ms (GTG); 12ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176104

*I own this monitor and highly recommend it to anyone willing to pay a premium

Dell UltraSharp U2410 Monitor
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...px?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277#reviews

*Very similar to the above monitor. I believe it uses the same panel manufactured by LG.

If you're really looking to go high end check out NEC, Eizo, or Planar. Beware of sticker shock!

AMW1011

Distinguished
No, that is a misconception. They have a high GTG timing, which is Grey to Grey, that does not give a good representation as to the entire speed of the monitor. The important benchmarks are BTB, black to black, CTC, color to color, or BTW, black to white or vice versa. These tend to be the same and sometimes better than TN-panels which are rated at 2ms that may STILL have ghosting issues.

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

No problems with my H-IPS, although I play role-players and not shooters. Though I doubt there would be any issues with the latter either. PVA panels seem more prone to lag, but I can't speak from experience.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Great thread, as I am also looking for a monitor for my new computer build. An i5 750, with an HD 5770. I'm also a first person shooter player, looking for a 24 inch monitor. Is the LED a feature worth paying extra for, or is it even a feature that should separate two similarly priced monitors from each other?

There are so many monitors on newegg that are priced between $180-$250, inside that 23-24" range, and it's hard to know which monitor is best. Obviously HDMI, and full 1080p is what I'm looking for, but outside of that, what features make the most difference?

What do you guys think of this monitor that is on sale locally at a big box store?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hannspree+-+23%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+HD+Monitor/9218777.p?id=1218061081819&skuId=9218777

Is it a better buy than this ASUS LED Backlit monitor on Newegg?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075

One last question, is does the 23" or 23.6", or 24" screen size make any difference with respect to picture quality? Will the size mean black borders, or oddities with the resolution or PQ, at 1920x1080?

Thanks in advance!

citystreet

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I decided I am going to stay with my current monitor now and buy a new one later on in the year. (Hopefully the price of LED monitors go down!)

Those are good questions real world. I did not really think about what features making the difference.

As for the monitors that you are buying I would still stick with the LED monitor even though that is a good price for the LCD 23" monitor.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

1. First, anything you get at bestbuy will be overpriced. Shop models in stores to look at them--then go online to get better prices at newegg or other. If you really want to get it in person you will get better deals at office depot and the like.

2. One difference that may be critical for gaming is response time. That Asus listed above has a 2ms(GTG) response time, while many monitors intended for office work have 5ms or higher response times.

im no expert at this though.. so im leaving the advice on models back to the others: