Wondering if my mobo is faulty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj89890

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi everyone. I ran into a problem with my computer a few weeks ago. When I power it up, all the fans turn on and leds, but it won't post or display an image. I get this warning lights lit up on the right side. So I took out the gpu and ram and everything else and just plugged in the 24pin connecter and got the same error lights showing up. What's strange is then I plugged in the 8pin cpu power cord and had the cpu running at a 80% slower speed, and it sounded like the whole rig was getting less power. My first thought was it was a power supply issue, but after using another PSU to test it out, I'm still getting the same exact problem. Does this sound like a faulty mobo? The reset switch doesn't work, also. Thanks.

Solution
Assuming it's not a dead CMOS battery, and since you've tried a know good PSU, I would have to agree that the board seems to be the likely problem.

tj89890

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I've tested it with memory installed as well. The mobo is x58a-ud3r rev 2.0, cpu i7 920, and I'll have to get back to you on the ram. The computer has been working fine for over a year and half. I found a picture from another forum of a guy who had the same led warning lights lit up. Here's a link to the picture of the mobo: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/5750077258_6c3940d304_b.jpg

He solved it by plugging in the 8pin cpu which he forgot to. That doesn't solve mine as I get the same lights with everything plugged in.

Here's a copy of what the other guy said with his issue to be more specific about the LED's.

"!The symptoms: My pc does turn on, so does the fans and front leds and dvd writer, but makes not a single noise and a few leds in the motherboard which are described as the Phase LEDs turn on: a group related to the ram, and other to the cpu. The cpu group has 1 green 3 yellow and two reds; the ram has one green followed by another yellow, then another green and another yellow. No vid singal."

tj89890

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I just plugged everything in with the new psu to double-check. Same error lights. The cpu fan would power-cycle. I hear a ringing noise coming from the cpu. Not sure if it is the fan or the the cpu making that noise. So I believe it's either the cpu or the mobo that is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.