Need help!. bought a new graphic card. monitor dont work anymore.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi guys i just got my new graphic card which is a Radeon HD 4550 from gigabyte.

I have a dell 8400 and when i connect everything and start up the computer it all shows green back on the computer. but the monitor won't respond. why?
Its either self test features check 1, 2 or something about power saving mode. try to click any button or move the mouse. OR i click the button that shut down and open the screen it's green for only 3 seconds, the screen is black and it turns yellow.

What should i do?!?!

forgot to say that i had a nvidia 6800GT which has been "burned" somehow and have now changed to an ATI Radeon hd 4550 from gigabyte

COLGeek

Cybernaut
With everything powered off, make sure your new GPU is firmly installed into the motherboard. Also, verify that both ends (PC/GPU and monitor) of your video cable are securely fastened (if using VGA of DVI, screw in the retaining screws finger tight). Then try again. Good luck!

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
It might just be a bad card...

Prepared to to experience a significant performance decrease with that 4550. Return it now and just get something better; assuming AGP is your slot go with 4670.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

i have noticed whenever i remove the DVI cable the screen shows green and shows that self test feature check... and when i plg in the DVI to the computer again the screens power button shows yellow

COLGeek

Cybernaut

First< I don't recommend that you plug/unplug anything while the system is powered on. That is the fastest way to zap something.

Does the video card/monitor display properly with a VGA cable? Or, does it do the same thing as the DVI cable?

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

i dont know.. i dont have any VGA cables only DVI.

i've now noticed a new thing. Back on the computer there is diagnostic lights they all turn green just in a second, but after a while it make noises and turns to A C green and BC to yellow then it turns green again.. and it will repeat.
Another thing is that when i push the power button on the computer it shuw downs immediately. normally you have to hold the button for like 5 second but it shut down just when i click it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That means that the system hasn't made it past the BIOS spalsh screen. It may be stuck in Diagnostics mode.

What happened to the original video card? Did the system ever work after the 6800 was damaged/removed?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I looked at your Dell forum thread and I agree that your previous video card was the likely problem. BTW, when you installed the 4550, was the computer powered off and the power cable disconnected?

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Yes ofcourse. its too dangerous to plug in the cables while you remove and putting the card.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Good for you. You did it correctly. You would be surprised at the things people do when they aren't sure about how to do something.

I suggest you go through the process of removing and then reinstalling your new 4550 video card to make sure it is firmly installed.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

hahah thanks.

but how do i reinstall my card?

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

i've done that serveral times. still wont work :(

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Do you have access to another working video card that you could swap into the system for troubleshooting?

If not (or you don't have access to another computer that you could install your 4550 into), then RMA the 4550.

However, since your previous video card flamed out, it is possible that your system was damaged as well.

Just something to consider.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

I don't thing that is was damaged because i went to a computer technical and he told me that it was the graphic card (the old one). But what should i do?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If you can't verify that the new video card is good, assume it is bad and return it (exchange).

Do you have access to another system to use for troubleshooting? BTW, a technician couldn't verify anything unless he/she put in a working video card and got the system to operate normally. It is entirely possible that the PCI-E slot you are using to install the video card is defective. That is why I am asking about access to another system. Understand?

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Yes. But what i dont get is that how it could be damaged from the first place.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Actually buying a defective item happens from time to time. While fairly rare, it does happen.

BTW, you still haven't said if you have access to another system for troubleshooting. I assume the answer is "NO".

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

COL. i have a question. when i had my geforce 6800gt. i had to connect the 6 pins to the graphic card which is inside the computer. The radeon hd 4550 didnt have one. Maybe that's the problem?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The HD4550 doesn't require additional external power. It gets all it needs via the PCI-E port.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

i see. But thank you for all your help. I called them and they are sending me new one in a couple of days. i let you know how that works out.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Sorry for double post.

But please answer one last question. you said something about BIOS Splash.. how can i fix that? because when i click the power button it shuts down immediately.