Advancing Software: Should I Upgrade

Dystopia17

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hello,

I have been keeping up to date on the recent influx of new PC games and software that will be launching on the market soon, especially post-e3. After examining the requirements of some up and coming games such as battlefield 3, it seems that my current system will be able to run them. Some just barely. But in the not-so-distant future, I'm worried that my computer may fall short. It's always exciting to be able to upgrade to a new computer, but I wanted to see a few opinions as to if it would be worth it or not for me to upgrade. I'd most likely purchase a desktop as the upgrade to my current laptop. My system specs are as follows:

Dell Studio 1749 Laptop
Intel Core i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40 ghz.

Ram: 6.00 GB (5.86 useable)

GPU: ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5600/5700 Series

Thanks for the feedback :sol:

p94-t

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hello Dystopia.

I think it's worth it for you to upgrade to a desktop computer. First of all, laptops was never meant to be a gaming device. It's main use is for studying and office work. I know that you CAN play games on it. But let's be honest, it ain't your best bet. Plus, with the upcoming games ( Battlefield 3 ), your laptop will run out of juice, very quickly. Other than that, you will be more likely to burn yourself with the laptop after an hour of Battlefield 3. It has a VERY bad cooling system.

Size does matters when it comes to gaming. A desktop computer is bigger, leading to better airflow thus keeping your components cool. You won't experience any overheating unlike on a laptop and you will surely get better performance off a desktop than a laptop. That said, you current graphic card is complete trash :D. Being honest here. Series 5600/5700 is nothing to be gaming on. I even think you MUST upgrade to a desktop if you want to play games with decent FPS.

Let me know what is your budget for an upgrade and I shall make you the BEST build for your buck. I know more than I say so trust me and you'll be one happy gamer.

Yours sincerely P94-t.

Dystopia17

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Right now, my budget depends on if I can land a job during the school year. I got one that makes good money but that's only for the remainder of the summer. I'd say if I do land a job my budget would be around 1.4k since I can make back what I saved. P.S. thank you for your previous feedback.

TRENDING THREADS