Sign in with
Your question

ASUS p8z68 deluxe/gen3 Q-code error 96 (Vga_led)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 15, 2012 12:08:15 AM

Hey All,

Did some research prior to posting, saw some similar problems but none exactly like mine.

I have a new asus p8z68 Deluxe/gen3 mobo, with an evga gtx 560ti classified ultra. Prior to recieving my 560 card in the mail, I used my old 9600gt just to play on the pc a bit, install windows, yada yada. (the 560 was the last item to recieve by mail for my new build).

Everything booted fine, and was running great. So the new card comes and i plug it in, install drivers and the whole 9. Works great.

Day or so later, as the pc boots up and the q-code led display on the mobo runs through its normal random numbers but hangs up on '96' for a while and the vga_led was illuminated, indicating that was the problem. I was getting no display on the monitor and the boot sequence seemed to have halted at this error.

Now the strange part is, this only happens about 3 in 10 boots/restarts now. Sometimes it hangs on the '96' qcode and the vga light, and sometimes it boots up just fine. (code '96' in the mobo manual is "PCI Bus assign resources") Sometimes even switching off the back of the powersupply or even unplugging the power cable all together and then back in solves the problem, sometimes it does not. Seems to be totally random on when it wants to boot up correctly.

Thought it may be power. But i hooked up all cables properly i do believe to the video card and power supply. Its def a power hungry card, takes an 8pin and 6pin connector. They supplied me a 6pin to 2xMolex and an 8pin to 2x 6-pins which are both being used.

In other peoples cases that Ive read, their unable to boot up at all. In my case, this only happens ever so often, Which leads me to believe its not a dead board that needs RMA'd its something probably very simple and easy to fix I just cant seem to look in the right spot.

How can i determine if it really is getting enough power?
Are my old 9600gt drivers causing the mobo to have a brain fart and realize that ive got a different card in once inawhile?

ALSO, there is a new BIOS for this board I have just discovered, its 3202 or something like that. Is this stable has anyone tried it yet? Says it greatly improves system stability on asus website. Maybe a bios update would help in my situation?

my pc:
asus z68 deluxe
i7 2600k
g.skill 1333 ripjawsX 16g ram 4 sticks
corsair hx850
evga 560ti classified ultra
September 13, 2012 9:45:24 AM

Hello. Have exactly the same problem:

My configuration:
PSU: Chieftec A-135 APS-1000C
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600
MB: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 4x4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 KIT (CML16GX3M4A1600C9)
Video card: ASUS ENGTS450 DC SL/DI/1GD3

Assembled in June, 2 month of excellent work. Yesturday (after Win7 update and system shut down) it did'n boot showing B6 Q-code and vga_led solid red. After CMOS reset it starts to BIOS, but after BIOS configuration and restart it fails with the same error. After 2-3 times of restart with Reset button it comes to life and now works fine.

Had this (B6 & vga_led) error once before, but it has gone quickly so I did'n pay attention. Now it becomes a problem and I can find no decision on the Internet.

As after successfull boot the systems works fine in any mode (even in extream load with games) I think it is not a hardware problem, but some bug in BIOS microcode or something like that.

P.S. Did you solve your problem? If so, please describe.
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:45:51 PM

I Have yet to find a resolution to my problem. The only fix is basically like you just said... restart the computer until it boots normally.

Sometimes when i boot up, my GPU fan will start at max speed (sounds like a jetplane about to take off) when ever I do hear this, I know for certain ill be getting that Q-code 96 error and have to restart.

The problem is just annoying. Having to restart a couple times before everything boots normally.
I dont know how else to explain my issue, but its just my luck i suppose.

If anyone has any similar problems or fixes PLEASE let us know!
m
l
April 3, 2013 10:53:26 AM

turborex said:
I Have yet to find a resolution to my problem. The only fix is basically like you just said... restart the computer until it boots normally.

Sometimes when i boot up, my GPU fan will start at max speed (sounds like a jetplane about to take off) when ever I do hear this, I know for certain ill be getting that Q-code 96 error and have to restart.

The problem is just annoying. Having to restart a couple times before everything boots normally.
I dont know how else to explain my issue, but its just my luck i suppose.

If anyone has any similar problems or fixes PLEASE let us know!

I'm having the same issues. Completely new build. Have you found a solution?
m
l
!