Hd5850s xfire and eyefinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I have two 1gb vapor x hd5850s in xfire, currently on one 24" 1920x1080 screen.

1) They currently play my games at max - would there be a significant drop in performance if I ran them on 3 of these 24" screens in eyefinity at 1080 res? Due to being 1gb and not 2gb?

2) Also what would be the best inputs to use - screens 1 & 2 in card 1's two DVIs and screen 3 in card 2's HDMI etc...?

Thanks!

Solution
I've investigated this as I also have two 5850s.

1) Yes you will need to reduce settings. The biggest problem is the 1gb of VRAM. I'm pretty sure vapor x are also 1gb cards. There are "eyefinity" versions of the 5850 out there with 2gb. But anyway, the VRAM is going to be an issue so at the absolute least AA and AF will need to be turned down/off and depending on the game, other settings as well.

2)All out puts have to come from the top card. For 3 monitors you must use the DisplayPort output on one monitor (at least). If your monitors do not have a DP input, then you will need an Active Single Link DP to DVI adapter which are around $30-40. Do not buy a dual link adapter as those are only needed for display resolutions above 1080p...
I've investigated this as I also have two 5850s.

1) Yes you will need to reduce settings. The biggest problem is the 1gb of VRAM. I'm pretty sure vapor x are also 1gb cards. There are "eyefinity" versions of the 5850 out there with 2gb. But anyway, the VRAM is going to be an issue so at the absolute least AA and AF will need to be turned down/off and depending on the game, other settings as well.

2)All out puts have to come from the top card. For 3 monitors you must use the DisplayPort output on one monitor (at least). If your monitors do not have a DP input, then you will need an Active Single Link DP to DVI adapter which are around $30-40. Do not buy a dual link adapter as those are only needed for display resolutions above 1080p and they cost $100 more.

Solution

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Thank you. Couldn't have asked for a better/more thorough answer than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.