Sign in with
Your question

Monitor not coming on, hardware issue?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2011 6:19:12 PM

I have a problem with my newly build computer (well, around 45 days old).

It's worked fine until not without a single problem (couple of BSOD's at first, but they died down). But today, I have a more serious problem and I believe that my motherboard may have because faulty/defect

I went to put a second hard drive in to back up one or two large files I don't need at the moment, just to save space whilst I didn't need them. Powered my PC up; fine, but it wasn't recognising the HDD. I realised I forgot to plug the power into it (silly me), so I shut down and plugged the 4pin molex in and powered my computer. This is when the problem arose, my monitor was NOT coming on at all, not through my GPU, not through my motherboards VGA either. I don't know why this is, but I've had my motherboards battery out for around 20 mins now and I'll be putting it back in shortly to see if it works.

I don't know what may have happened here, only thing I'm assuming is that a capacitor or fuse has possibly blown on the motherboard.

RMA my hardware? I think the RAM may be a bit funny anyway.
a c 207 U Graphics card
a c 198 V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 7:00:47 PM

The 2 most likely places to look are the power supply (PSU) and video card (GPU). What are you systems basic specs? Be sure to include the make/model of your motherboard, PSU, and GPU as well as all devices in the system.

Also, if you disconnect the added HDD, does the system revert to normal operation?
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 7:06:40 PM

So if the monitor is not coming on you don't know if its posting or not then ? Does it sound right ? that is do you hear the drives spin up at start up ?
I'm wondering what your set up is and if its possible you have some how loosened the cables to the first HDD and now the PC is trying to boot of of an empty disc.
These are Sata drives are they ?
Also what COLGeek said if you disconnect the added HDD, does the system revert to normal operation? first place to start really.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
February 2, 2011 7:10:51 PM

PSU is a CIT 650W PSU. Never had a problem with it, but it's not a certified PSU, just generic or whatever. I'm going to be trying the PSU in my old PC soon, so I can see if it is that.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 OC'ed
MOBO :MSI 880G E45
GPU: Inno3D GTS450 1GB stock
HDD: WD Caviar blue 500GB
MEM: 4GB Value ram

Remove the added HDD and the monitor still stays off. You mentioned the problem may be the GPU, I don't think it is, as not even my motherboards VGA is working.
February 2, 2011 7:14:57 PM

Sorry, other post was added while I was typing.
Primary is SATA II, the one I added is IDE. I've tried reseating stuff including the GPU, Ram, and replugging cables in firmly.
a c 207 U Graphics card
a c 198 V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 7:14:59 PM

Verify that all cables/connectors are firmly in place, all of them. Also, that PSU (while it may not be part of the problem) should be replaced with a quality one when you can. I wouldn't trust it in the long term.
a c 207 U Graphics card
a c 198 V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 7:16:34 PM

Does the system beep when started? Can you tell if the system is doing anything when you press the power switch?
February 2, 2011 7:17:30 PM

I'll completely rewire everything shortly then, down to fans and USB. I will also try the PSU on an an old system to see if it's the problem. If it isn't, I'm assuming it is the motherboard?
February 2, 2011 7:18:47 PM

The beeps my computer on sound so much different to my other boards, 2 short beeps almost instantly after hitting power, no more beeps after that. AMI BIOS.

I know very little about BIOS and POST.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 7:29:12 PM

According to the AMI BIOS BEEP CODES :

Quote:
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad

So check and make sure you did not accidently move one of the RAM modules so it is not seated properly -- and you might also try removing all but one RAM module to see if it will then boot.

Also -- I've heard of people having problems using both SATA and IDE drives -- if the IDE drive has Windows OS on it then they could not get the SATA hdd to act as the boot drive to fix it called for reformatting the IDE drive to remove the windows OS -- but if that is the problem you are having removing the IDE HDD should have removed the problem also. -- but try going into BIOS and ensuring the SATA HDD is set to the primary boot device.
February 2, 2011 7:31:26 PM

Thank you for the reply, I was just reading that. About to reseat.
a c 207 U Graphics card
a c 198 V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 7:39:45 PM

JDFan said:
According to the AMI BIOS BEEP CODES :

Quote:
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad

So check and make sure you did not accidently move one of the RAM modules so it is not seated properly -- and you might also try removing all but one RAM module to see if it will then boot.

Also -- I've heard of people having problems using both SATA and IDE drives -- if the IDE drive has Windows OS on it then they could not get the SATA hdd to act as the boot drive to fix it called for reformatting the IDE drive to remove the windows OS -- but if that is the problem you are having removing the IDE HDD should have removed the problem also. -- but try going into BIOS and ensuring the SATA HDD is set to the primary boot device.

This happens far more often than you would think - the displacing on memory modules...... +1 to JDFan!
February 2, 2011 10:30:24 PM

Right, removed the hard drive and reset the CMOS with battery and jumpers. Started up and got the 2 beeps, set optimal bios settings and everything was detected and configured which stopped the beeps, everything is working again. Unfortunately, the amount of times I used the restart button and powered off with the switched damaged Windows 7 I think, so I've done a full reformat and reinstall, managed to back up files.

Thank you for the help everyone :) 
!