Sign in with
Your question

6850s acting up in crossfire! need help!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2011 6:36:51 PM

Hello,
okay I have a couple problems, first I felt crossfire was not performing right in some games like both Crysis' so I downloaded Crossfire Xtension and that didn't seem to help either. In Crysis I would get worse frames in crossfire then without it, before i downloaded crossfire extension and with it applied. Now a new problem has come up where in some games like GTA 4, STALKER CoS, and Assassins creed 2 the display and colors are all messed up with bright psychedelic lookin greens and pinks and textures all messed up. This only seems to happen with Crossfire enabled and only since I applied crossfire extension, Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling Catalyst control center and did a complete driver sweep but nothing changed. I also cleaned some Nvidia chipset and display drivers by accident maybe that could have affected something?. My setup is an Msi 890fxa-GD70 mobo, 2 powercolor 6850's, and 1090t at stock. Ive checked MSI kombuster and everything seems to be running fine, and afterburner shows them both working fine and temps under 80 with a 820/1020 overclock, even with stock clocks things are weird. I have no idea what it could be and any help would be appreciated greatly.

More about : 6850s acting crossfire

a c 234 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:03:41 PM

You are describing classic heat/power problems. What make/model PSU are you using? Also, since you don't seem to have any Nvidia hardware in your config, removing those drivers should have no impact on this issue.
m
l
February 2, 2011 7:16:04 PM

My PSU is a Corsair 750 TX, please don't tell me one of my cards is fried :( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 126 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:17:07 PM

Try each card on its own to make sure each card works fine.
m
l
a c 234 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:17:22 PM

If you pull one of the 6850s, does the system perform ok?
m
l
February 2, 2011 7:33:40 PM

I haven't tried each card on its own yet, want to try to leave messing with the insides till last. I just ran crysis warhead bench on frost and crossfire seems to be working, although my results still are kind of weird, 23 min 35 average 88 highest. But it still seems low considering I'm running it at 1280x1024. So crossfire seems to be somewhat working okay, temps under 80 for the hottest running card, it only seems to be some games which don't work right. If all else fails I'll try each card on its own
m
l
a c 234 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:38:11 PM

Gaming at 1280x1024 won't really stress one 6850, let alone 2 6850s in CF. You need to be playing at a much higher resolution to see the benefits of CF (like 1920x1080 or higher).
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:40:18 PM

What CPU do you have?
1280 x 1024 is a very low res, I'm just thinking your CPU could be the weakest link in your situation.
m
l
a c 234 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:43:21 PM

He has a 1090t at stock. Not the bottleneck, but by running at such a low res, the load is being carried by the CPU more than the GPUs.
m
l
February 2, 2011 7:44:12 PM

My CPU is a amd 1090t at 3.2, I knew 1280x1024 would be pretty weak for crossfire, but it'll have to do till I get the cash for a bigger one. But anyway the problem still persists with the weird colors in some games with crossfire on, I still can't figure out why it will be okay in some games and not okay in others.
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:46:07 PM

COLGeek said:
He has a 1090t at stock. Not the bottleneck, but by running at such a low res, the load is being carried by the CPU more than the GPUs.

Oh yeah, my bad I missed that, but what do you mean by " but by running at such a low res, the load is being carried by the CPU more than the GPUs"
m
l
a c 234 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 7:55:31 PM

Looking for a definitive source now (getting old and can't remember where I read a great whitepaper on the subject). While I might not have stated the CPU vs. GPU issue well, there are multiple references to how system performance can be affected when the GPUs are not used to their fullest capacity. As soon as I dig something up, I'll post.
m
l
February 2, 2011 8:00:14 PM

But...What about the weird colors? Is switching them around and testing them the only other thing I can try ATM?
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 8:01:01 PM

COLGeek said:
Looking for a definitive source now (getting old and can't remember where I read a great whitepaper on the subject). While I might not have stated the CPU vs. GPU issue well, there are multiple references to how system performance can be affected when the GPUs are not used to their fullest capacity. As soon as I dig something up, I'll post.

Alright thanks for that :)  I alwas thought that higher res/in game settings put more stress on the CPU as it has to do more wire mesh things .... I dunno really :lol: 

And if the CPU can't keep up with the GPU(s) then you wouldn't get the best possible FPS, and thats a CPU bottleneck?
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 8:02:40 PM

leoj91 said:
But...What about the weird colors? Is switching them around and testing them the only other thing I can try ATM?

It would be an easy way to make sure each individual card is working as it should, that way you've eliminated the GPU's as being a possible cause for the issue.
m
l
a c 234 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 8:08:13 PM

Rustyy117 said:
It would be an easy way to make sure each individual card is working as it should, that way you've eliminated the GPU's as being a possible cause for the issue.

I agree with omgitzfatal. You need to check whether one of the cards is the problem. The weird colors you are describing are usually the result of heat or inadequate power. Pulling the second GPU will help determine the issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 8:09:12 PM

do you have the crossfire thingys on the cards? Try two thingys at the same time.

also remove all video card overclock and continue testing. Just cause the temps are good doesn't mean squat.
m
l
February 2, 2011 10:54:56 PM

Okay, I tried each card on its own and both are fine, it's still just when Crossfiring. unfortunately I only have one crossfire bridge. Clocks are back at stock and problem persists. So, it could be a PSU issue?
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
February 2, 2011 11:57:05 PM

for starters, remove the overclock as others suggested. it is really pointless at the res your using anyway. even 1 6850 is pointless at that res. You say it only happens with crossfire xtension installed, that is the issue. remove it, download appropriate crossfire profiles for your games and be happy.
m
l
February 2, 2011 11:57:06 PM

i dont think its a PSU issue, but when u ran each card by it self, did u see the weird colors again? and when u run them in single mode do u get better performance than crosfire? cuz i been throw this exact problem before.

now at 1280x1024 your crosfire 6850 is too much for it, what i suggest to do is high up the details as much as u can (just dont go alot on AA though) and overclock your cpu, because at that resolution your cpu is slowing it down not the gpu and when u high the details up it passes the load to the gpu and less stress on the cpu, thats how i solved my problem, do that and post results back.
m
l
February 3, 2011 12:59:31 AM

Each card by its self works hunky-dory. No overclocks are applied ATM and I do get better performance than in crossfire. I tried deleting Crossfire Xtension but the problem is still there, I couldn't find any uninstall for Crossfire Xtension so I just deleted the CX folder that was downloaded. I have the appropriate profiles for CCC. I knew 2 6850s would be more then enough now till I can get a bigger res monitor, but I just couldn't wait and had to try everything out with the monitor I have. I'll test some stuff out and report back.
m
l
February 3, 2011 1:33:49 AM

1st problem is your resolution 1280x1024 is way under kill for a crossfire setup. I have 2 6850's in crossfire and i game at 1650x1080 with Crysis on very high and 2xaa im getting around 37-50fps.

The bottleneck is your resolution. Turn it up if possible if not use one card. Also even though you have a good cpu it is the 2nd main bottleneck at such a low resolution and a very powerfull crossfire setup you will notice a performance increase by overclocking it i run a 940 quad at 3.7ghz. I would delete that crossfire extesnion thing also i have never heard of it and i play crysis just fine without it.
m
l
February 3, 2011 3:03:43 AM

Okay, I get the point about the resolution and everything as its a new computer and I only had a 1280x1024 res screen lying around to use it with, So my doubts about the performance are clear to me and I really appreciate all the help. BUT the original problem that this post was intended for was with the weird colors when crossfire WAS enabled. Like I've said it worked before till Crossfire Xtension (which I thought would help) was installed and now Im pretty sure I deleted everything, but I'm not sure if it may have left something behind, there was no install or uninstall included just the folder when its downloaded with the app. ANYWAY could THAT be the problem or the PSU, and if so what should I do for either scenario?
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
February 3, 2011 5:31:06 AM

yes, forget what others are saying, its not helping you with your problem. I think he gets the idea 2 cards are overkill for that res, please noone mention it again. i think since the problem only occurred after you installed xtension, that you need to find out how to uninstall it properly (maybe read the readme file if it has one). or set it up differently. From a quick read of this thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=293467 it should allow you to change crossfire mode which may help. It does look like an old tool and may just not work right with newer cards. i vote for remove it, i dont think deleting the folder is removing everything to do with the program.
m
l
February 5, 2011 9:42:38 PM

Hmmm, I've tried removing the program, but like I said there was no install.exe or uninstall.exe included, you just extract the .rar to a folder on the desktop and the programs there. So I tried deleting everything but the problem persists. Also I noticed its only affecting games I tried making profiles for, I'll also try reinstalling those to see if that fixes it. But just to make sure, for the Crossfire Xtension seeing as there was no uninstall.exe should I check somewhere else to see if it made any changes to anything else?
m
l
February 17, 2011 1:04:49 AM

...Seems like I've still got weird issues when running crossfire, with the weird colors. I'm almost convinced now it's a PSU issue? Or could it in anyway be something other then that? Ive deleted everything to do with crossfire extension so I'm not sure that could still be the problem
m
l
a c 234 U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 1:52:13 AM

A flaky PSU can cause GPU stability issues such as artifacting and pixelation (as well as color shifting). You may be experiencing both a software/driver/app AND a hardware issue. Not that unusual. Do you have access to another PSU that you could use for troubleshooting? Easy way to rule out the PSU.
m
l
!