I7 vs i5 single core performance

zacaj

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Im going to be getting a new laptop, and I have everything picked out except for the cpu. I have a choice between a i5-2410M, 2.3-2.9GHz and a i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz for $100 more. Obviously, the i7 is better, since it costs more and has 4 cores, but I nervous about the clock speed. i7s always eem to have lower clock speeds than i5s, and I dont know if theyre sacrificing speed for more cores. I I was running just one single core app, which would perform better, the i5 or the i7? (Is the i7 more efficient per cycle than an i5)

Solution
They would be identicle in performance at the same clock speed speed in a single thread, so the i5 would actually be slightly faster because it has a higher clock speed.

The reason the quads are clocked lower is so they can keep the temps and power requirements down.
They would be identicle in performance at the same clock speed speed in a single thread, so the i5 would actually be slightly faster because it has a higher clock speed.

The reason the quads are clocked lower is so they can keep the temps and power requirements down.

Solution