MoBo PCI-E slot specs and compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helyanwe

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I am trying to cheaply (<$150) fix my computer up (for Guild Wars 2) and have a few questions:

Can someone tell me if I am correct in assuming that if my mother board (Asus P5BW-LA) specs say -One PCI Express x16 graphics, that this is a 1.0?
~and~
Is it a simple BIOS update if I want to upgrade to a PCI Express 2.1 video card? Can I find out if a BIOS update for this is available before purchase? (I found diddly on the HP site)
Or am I looking at replacing the board along with the power supply and video card?
~and~
Can this motherboard handle 600w? I haven't seen any info on board and psu compatability.

Current defunct card is Geforce 8400GS (2.0), with a 300W supply. I want to get an XFX AMD Radeon HD6670 (2.1) and a 600W supply.

My PC is: HP m8150n, Intel 2 quad core Q6600, Says 2.6Ghz on front, specs say 2.4Ghz.

Even if you can just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Helyanwe

Solution
Yes it's probably PCI-e 1.0 and with a BIOS upgrade (try the manufacturing company website) it will probably be able to run a 2.0 PCI-e card.
I would however replace the motherboard since it's pretty old and I think it's not worth spending money on it.

About the PSU I'm not sure but I think any motherboard can handle whatever wattage the PSU provides so no need to upgrade board just to upgrade PSU

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Yes it's probably PCI-e 1.0 and with a BIOS upgrade (try the manufacturing company website) it will probably be able to run a 2.0 PCI-e card.
I would however replace the motherboard since it's pretty old and I think it's not worth spending money on it.

About the PSU I'm not sure but I think any motherboard can handle whatever wattage the PSU provides so no need to upgrade board just to upgrade PSU

Solution

Helyanwe

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

Thank you for the response. I guess my options are a lower card or the additional cost of a low end motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.